Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Pigeon Mountain breathable suit $150

17K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  SteveBee 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if any one else out there has one? I looked at suits for a couple of years, I saw the Ultra Breeze and Golden Bee. I always wanted one but did not have $259 for a suit. Then I found these guys from GA, Pigeon Mountain Trading company. They have breathable suits but they only cost $150. Sounded to good to be true but I love mine! Just curious and also wanted to get word out before you pay the $259 like I almost did.

#32 ·
Thanks Duboisi, that is what I am getting at. I love my country as I am sure you do. But there isn't an American out there that owns everything that was made from products here. Unless it is some Indian out there that still lives in a teepee and lives off the land. I opologize if I let things get to me to much, I do have a lot going on right now. My wife just had a baby last week, she is in the nicu with him while I am at home with my two year old son. I will probably be moving to NC due to financial reason. So I am a little cranky right now. I get frustrated with the whole buy american thing, I understand they mean well.

#33 ·
I have a GB jacket and it is well made. I'm looking for a jacket for my wife and possibly a suit for me for doing cut outs in. Do the legs of the PM suit pull over boots ok? The UB suit has brass zippers which would be nice. I watched a guy try on an imported ventilated suit at a recent bee convention, he had a little trouble getting the pants leg over his boot, but it was doable. That suit resembled the PM suit closely...probably coming out of the same province in Viet Nam or wherever.

Questions... Roomy pants legs? Cover flap for covering over veil zipper area? Are the veil zippers one-sided or is there a zipper on both sides letting the veil flip backwards behind your head? Draw-string or velcro closures for sleeves and pants openings? Pockets? Reinforced areas...knees, elbows, seats, ????

#35 ·
I can't remember everything about it I have only worn it about four times. I will have to pull it out and look at it again. Yes the legs have a lot of room, the pockets and knees are reinforced. The legs have velcro no zipper on them for boots, you might be able to get boots through them a lot of variables there. The veil has two zipperes so you can let it hang but they do offer another type of veil not sure what it looks like. I think there is a cover flap for the veil zippers but I don't remember. The thing about being an imported is what started the stink. Mine clearly says made in USA on the tag, they state on thier website they make thier own fabric. Someone wrote them directly you can find it earlier in the thread. They stated they were owned by U.S. Fabrics and american company but had operations in various places the tag on your suit would state the orgin.

#36 ·
Ultra breeze--pricey but highly recommended by every 0ne that has one. Made in America by a family, and I don't think it is made in a garage!

Golden bee-- Not as pricey, but I don't like the draw strings. Made in America by a inovative buisness person.

PMTC-- Wow what a good price, but it is not made in the US. I would be interested if any others than beehonests' is made in the USA

I'm going to make one more controversal but true statement. I have been all my life a student of history, human nature, and their ways of doing things. Human nature is to take of ourselves TODAY without any regard of what tommorrow brings.
All great societys have fallen thru the centurys, Romans, Egyptians, even Hitlers Germany was out of greed and dominance. They all imploded from within for lack of control of their own greed and self control that we as Americans are exhibiting in our lives. Even too many of our children are undisciplined and are out of control.
beehonest I am not a paticurally religious person, but I pray that your newborn is OK and has a prosperious and free country to grow up in.
I fully understand it is a global economy, but I fully understand that we are the consumers, and not the manufacturers anymore. Good luck to all. We are going to need it from the attitudes exhibited on this thread.

#37 ·
Valleyman, Got no hard feelings just lots of frustrations. I am religeous this country was founded on on it. I believe that God is in controll not Goverment, country,state or mankind. I think that is where our views differ. But I think you are spliting hairs with a butter knife. I am sure you would have no problem buying a car that is from an american company that outsources. But you make a big deal over buying a bee suit from an american company that is outsourced. Relax a little, now that we have polotics and religeon out of they way do you want to talk about beekeeping. God bless you man

#39 · (Edited)
I'm in Australia so the origin is a Sparrows farth to me ( we don't make any here)
What is important to me is: are the as good as we expect ( cool, strong, bee proof)?
I trust the company - I e-mailed for the cost of shipping ( just slightly cheaper then a trip to the US of A not the companies fault) and had an answer back in hours.

#40 ·
I bought one of the PM suits a couple of months ago. No, you can't get it on over boots. I can get it on over sneakers if I take it easy and work it on. I had a quality issue with mine. PM has offered to replace it. I had a reply from the owner of the company within two minutes of filing my complaint. Mine has a tag on it saying it was assembled in India. I'm hoping the second one is put together better than the first one.

#41 ·
I went to the PM General Store and talked to them about suits and all kinds of other things. They are really friendly and helpful down there. That's where I bought the suit. I have an entry (well, a couple of entries) about it on my blog.

I like the suit. It fits well and I haven't been stung yet. I got the fencing type veil and I didn't like it. So I ordered and received the round veil as a replacement (so now I have two. I'll use the fencing veil as a spare). It was made in India. You can't get it on over boots. But I haven't had any trouble with it yet. However, the zipper is a little stiff, and every time I put it on I think about waxing the zipper, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe next time.

#42 ·
Beehonest just be a little more thick skinned. I just went to the PMTC site and I will be buying on of thier suits. I too cant afford an ultrabreeze even though I would like to support small business and American make. I drive a chevy, own mostly all American made guns, and try to buy only American gas. Back when I worked and money was no object but now I have to mind my dollars and mine will be a Pigeon Mountain suit.

psisk

#44 ·
I posted in some other thread detailed info on PM vent suit. I guess, everybody could search. It is good suit, made in India. I tried both type of veils and prefer the round one (fencing?). Brass zippers works great without any wax. Pay attention when chose the size - you should get not more than 1 size bigger than your usual size. I got mine in XL and it was gigantic (M, 183 cm, 80 kg). Company people are very nice, they replaced the suit (3 mo backorder) and did not charge for return shipping. I would be happy to buy the product, which is truly made (not assembled) in USA and reasonable at price. But I love India also. Have no problem buying good stuff from any place as long as it is good quality. I do not understand all this patriotic discussion regarding US-made products. Well, bees are from Europe, patriots need to stop buying European honey bees.

#46 ·
I posted in some other thread detailed info on PM vent suit. I guess, everybody could search. It is good suit, made in India.
I would be happy to buy the product, which is truly made (not assembled) in USA and reasonable at price.
Man, you've got me confused!!! So which is it, made in the USA or made in India??? :rolleyes:

But I love India also. Have no problem buying good stuff from any place as long as it is good quality. I do not understand all this patriotic discussion regarding US-made products. Well, bees are from Europe, patriots need to stop buying European honey bees.
Topic for another forum but I will say that when I can, I *do* buy products made in the USA....*I* was "Made in the USA" and like to support my fellow citizens. The honey bees were grandfathered in back before you had to have a visa. ;) :D

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.