Thread: Moving to Iowa

Default Moving to Iowa

I currently have about a hundred hives in Alabama but will be relocating to some family land in the NW part of Iowa next year and plan on moving my hives with me.
    I've never managed any colonies in a climate where it gets cold. I have access to the old family barn and equipment where I can move all the colonies inside during the winter months.
    Is this thought adviseable ?

Default Re: Moving to Iowa

no lots of posts about this and it is not recommended.
    Im really not that serious

An old barn is not a place to winter. If you want to winter inside you need to keep a stable temperature about 45 degrees in absolute darkness. The colonies produce a lot of heat so you would need to cool the space as well as provide good ventilation. It is a hard expensive thing to do that far south or anywhere. You will have to study wintering requirements for that climate before your first one season keep[ing bees there. Good luck with your move.

Really I think this is much ado about nothing. Iowa is much colder than alabama, but it's not Canada. Right now you probably winter on one deep box, in iowa you probably need 2 deeps full as you can get them of honey. I wouldnt worry about wrapping and stuff either. I'm in missouri (mid), a little warmer than iowa, but we get down to zero or below sometimes. I don't wrap and I leave my screen bottom boards open. I normally try to go into winter with 2 deeps full of bees and honey, but have successfuly wintered single deeps or even NUCS through our winter. Don't worry about it, healthy bees will figure it out.

Rod

The University of Minnesota Bee Lab has some info about winterizing hives in northern states. The advice is conservative, so it's a safe place to start. See: http://www.extension.umn.edu/honeybe...s/freebees.htm Might help lay your concerns to rest. The other folks are right -- wintering hives in a barn will not be a wise move.

I currently live in northeastern Iowa, but I lived for about 5 years in Orange City as a kid. Nice country over yonder.

My hives overwinter in North Dakota - outside. Wrap your hives in November, make sure that they are in two full deeps (the top solid with honey) and place them where there is some sort of windbreak and they will be fine.

Was not aware there is much if any bee pasture left if any in NW Iowa!
    Kinda like Nebraska.

I would not worry about wintering at the moment. My question is when do you plan to migrate North? It would be nice to arrive on a flow so that you don't have to feed your bees.

NW Iowa isn't too far away, climate is similar (about one USDA growing zone difference, depending on who's counting) from here. NDnewbeek's advice of two full deeps is a good recommendation. I do not wrap hives, and they get through the winters here. Bees that are better adapted to northern climates will help quite a bit. Bees that try to get through the winter with large clusters will take more honey than bees that winter with smaller clusters (obviously).