Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Nuc building fastener question . . .

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  toekneepea 
#1 ·
I am planning on making some nucs for spring using the plans on the Bushkill website.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/downloads/beekeeping/Coates5FrameNuc.pdf

My question is what staples would you pros suggest I use? As the plans state I am making them from 1/2" plywood.

Would like to buy a decent quality pneumatic stapler for my compressor to make assembly easier. Suggestions on staple length and staple guns appreciated!!

#2 ·
Check out "Where Are You Getting Your Staples" under Forum and then Equipment/Hardware Review. Some info on pneumatic staplers.

For nails, the recommended length is 3 times thickness of wood. Use 1 1/2 inch nail for 1/2 inch plywood. Check with the Hardware Store or others may comment as well.

#5 · (Edited)
I don't really know why we care so much about dimentions of the nucs, other than height It would be so much easier to make 12 inch wide nucs They'll house 8 frames and hardly any wood will be wasted when the plywood is cut into 4 12 inch pieces. WIth 3/4 inch plywood, the width would be 13.5, which is a 1/4 short of the standard, but it does not really matter, I don't think. Nucs are really mostly for your own use, so who care what size they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.