Question Fondant Disappearing !!!

A fellow beekeeper has been telling me that he cannot keep up with the rate the bees are eating his fondant. He makes the fondant about 1/2 inch thick and about 3/4 the size of the hive body. In a matter of days, the bees are eating the entire fondant. If I every use fondant it stays for at least 2 months. Any suggestions/comments?

Default Re: Fondant Disappearing !!!

His bees must bee low on stores

they are either starving or being robbed-or both.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

He might have added a feeding stimulant like lemon grass oil, his bees may be short of feed, he may lack veracity. Impossible to know. Just give your bees more if they use up what you have on or weigh them to see if they have enough stores to forget about for the winter.

Tell him to keep feeding the fondant!

I know it's not fondant, but I have three hives I have been feeding dry sugar. Two of them do not seem to have consumed much over the last month and a half, but one hive has been wolfing it down. It was also my strongest hive, and had quite a bit of stores packed away, though I fear they waited a bit too long to shut down brood rearing. I will keep dumping sugar into them and hopefully they will make it.

Also my two miserly hives both have a lot of Carnie in them, the one blasting through the sugar are feral bees from the desert. I live in the mountains, and am assuming this is also a factor. Maybe your friend has similar issues.

My bees are eating lots of fondant. I attribute it to the very warm temps we're having. Bees are active and there is nothing for them to gather. Another beek I'm in contact with is experiencing the same activity. Might be some starving bees in the spring on unfed hives.

sometimes with DRY sugar they make it disappear by hauling it out as trash.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Thanks for all of the replies. I had the same thoughts. I passed the link on and suggested he use this site as a resource.

One hive I was asked to look into a few weeks ago had NOTHING in the top deep and winter is almost here (flurries tonight). Removed the top deep and I put a a few sticks across the tops of the frames, queen excluder and a shallow super on it. Put a 35 pound block of fondant it and then put on the covers.

These bees were ravenous. Ate through almost a third of it in the first week. At that time it seemed like every bee was on it. The good news is that the last time I checked they had slowed down quite a bit and only a handful of bees were on it. I have another 35lb block to put on mid-winter if we get a quick thaw. Hope that is enough!!