Default Has anyone "rooted" their Android?

I need to do some more homework on the subject but I'm considering rooting my DroidX phone.

Does anyone have any experience good/bad?
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Has anyone "rooted" their Android?

I'm all ears...I am sick of all these native apps that slow my phone down..its SOOOOO slow!
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    I'm all ears...I am sick of all these native apps that slow my phone down..its SOOOOO slow!
    Mike
    My Droid X is rooted.

It was extremely easy. "Gingerbread" is the name for the 2.3.3 operating system...

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/01...g-gingerbread/

I downloaded any files to a new directory and continued the process.

It was fast, easy, and what's really really nice... my phone still functions!! Your phone will reboot a few times during the process. I bought Titanium Backup Pro immediately after rooting my phone.

Good luck!

Joe
    BeeCurious

I
    MO, I would switch to another hardware handset rather than Motorola if you have the chance. Motorola hardware is known for being some of the trickiest to root and you run a high chance of errors or bricking. It is only recently that they developed the "one-click" for the DroidX compared to almost right after release for others. I currently use a DINC. HTC is known for very good hardware and does not take issue with their users root their phones as compared to Motorola which purposely designs their hardware to prevent users from rooting. They also have the WORST bloatware (i.e. Motoblur), IMO.

Ice Cream Sandwich appears to be available for Droid X users now (MIUI) http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=691
    You should be able to find not only detailed instructions, but every ROM available for your handset from that link.

I will be switching to a Galaxy Nexus (Samsung hardware) when released. I run multiple AOSP and Senseless ROMS (MIUI currently - check it out). Happy to answer more questions offline.
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

Now that my DROID is rooted I need to see about making changes...

I'm already pleased that I have a fully functioning Titanium Pro installed.

Joe
    BeeCurious

Have you installed ClockworkMod Recovery (can be found in the android marketplace)? Highly recommended for all rooted phones prior to making any changes. The free version works fine, I purchased the premium version eventually.

I am assuming by changes you mean changing ROM's? There are many to choose from and the variations are as vast as there are different handsets. You have to try them out and see which ones suits you best. Two of the most popular across the board (and known for being stable and updated regularly) are MIUI (http://roms.miui.us/) and CyanogenMod (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/). Fair warning, once you start "flashing ROM's" it becomes highly addictive
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

Actually I have an HTC Inspire android. I'm sure that the info is out there for that phone. What are the advantages of rooting? Will I loose all my data or do I need to back it up.
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

The advantages of rooting are somewhat subjective, depending on who you talk to. Personally, I like the freedom of making my phone do/look exactly the way I want it without all the junk I don't (i.e. manufacture "bloatware"). Speed increases are claimed by some, but honestly it's only a minor benefit unless you remove everything you don't use (and then only if you use just a few apps). You can also tweak your phone to help extended battery life to some degree. Not sure how your Desire does on battery, but my Incredible is known for having poor battery life.

You will lose any data that's on your phone itself. By that I mean, anything on your SD Card will not be lost, and if you use Google sync for things like your contacts, those will not be lost. It is always a good idea to backup. I use ClockworkMod Recovery to backup every time prior to flashing a new ROM or making any changes.

Rooting is essentially giving you administrative rights to the "computer in your hand that happens to make phone calls too".
    Flashing ROM's is equivalent to installing/re-installing/changing operating systems. Just as you would back-up data on your home computer prior to re-installing or upgrading your operating system, you should do the same with your phone.

HTC is great hardware to have if you are thinking about rooting; these guys are the best: http://www.unrevoked.com/
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

Well...

It looks like there aren't any stable ROMs available for a DroidX. At least I can freeze apps with Titanium. I guess "hackability" will be one of the criteria when I shop for another phone.

Perhaps "Ice Creme Sandwich" will be a faster and more of a battery friendly operating system.
    BeeCurious

There are several "stable" ROM's for the DroidX. That's a relative term compared to what you define it as - no phone operating system is 100% to be honest, rooted or OEM. This one is probably the best and easiest to try out: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/motorola-droid-x

I agree, that when looking for a new phone if you have any thoughts about possibly rooting your device, definitely take hardware manufacturers into consideration. Some are more tolerate than others, Apple of course being the least followed closely by Motorola in second place (IMO).

Everyone is waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich...and it looks like those with a Droid X can already experience the ICS framework using the MIUI ROM (framework meaning no .apk files = "apps"). In other words it "looks" and "acts" like ICS, but isn't.
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    At least I can freeze apps with Titanium.
    Whats Titanium? I need it! Also what did you say worked for backing up the phone?
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

Titanium Backup (Free and Pro versions) is for backup purposes. It also has some other neat features. The freeze feature BeeCurious is talking about is a feature available in the Pro version. It can disable an app (make it essentially invisible and does not load) without actual deleting it from the phone. A quick easy way to "remove" an app that you never use.

Yes, you can just delete an app if you installed it from the market, but for apps that "come with the phone" (i.e. bloatware) you can only remove them by command line using your desktop connected to your phone (or command line on your phone which is crazy small and time consuming - but doable). I've done it, not extremely difficult with some basic programming knowledge, but in the end it made little difference in my phone performance. Much easier to use something like Titanium Pro to "freeze" it.
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Viking Ranch View Post
    There are several "stable" ROM's for the DroidX. That's a relative term compared to what you define it as - no phone operating system is 100% to be honest, rooted or OEM. This one is probably the best and easiest to try out: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/motorola-droid-x

snip
    There's too many bug complaints in the DX forum for my liking...

Jim,

If Verizon updates the DX's, will my phone upgrade automatically after being rooted?

Joe
    BeeCurious

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    There's too many bug complaints in the DX forum for my liking...
    IMO that is due to Motorola hardware (sorry, I just can't help being biased). You won't really ever find any ROM that isn't "buggy" to some degree. All phones will have their quirks, it is a question of can you live with it or not. Some may pertain to apps that you don't use. For example, I had issues with the WeatherBug app (caused synch issues intermittently) on one of the ROM's I was running and quite frankly I never really used it anyway, it was just cool to have. After uninstalling it my phone was fine

You will no longer receive Verizon updates automatically. You have taken control of your handset when you decide to root, not yielding control to Verizon. It may sounds scary, but as soon as the update is pushed out anywhere in the US - rooted phones can find the new update within hours (via forums like xda-developers). There is always someone who posts the update code online very quickly. Compare this to rolling updates pushed out by Verizon which takes sometimes several weeks before everyone gets their updates.

I prefer to stay rooted and update my phone myself and not have to wait
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch