Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wax foundation mould press

"I tried teflon spray, PAM baking spray"

How about a candle mold releasing agent?
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

I'm resurrecting an old thread I realize this, but I have a question / thought. . . Isn't the whole idea to be chemical free with making your own foundation? If you're spraying all of this on the mould then how is it still chemical free?

How did you all make out with the waffle iron press?

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    If you're spraying all of this on the mould then how is it still chemical free?
    Isn't Pam an essential oil?

Organic soap in water and dip the wax. Put the wax between plastic grocery sacks when pressing.

Pam is vegetable oil. It is NOT essential oil.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

In answering your question, Delber, you wash off the home made foundation wax with water, then purified water. "Chemical - free" is quite the misnomer - "Low-pesticide content" would be more appropriate. You can't quite eliminate all of the pesticides - the bees bring some in regardless - it gets in the wax, the pollen, the honey. We all hope to stay way, way below the LD50 (the dose which proves lethal to 50% of the test bees) in producing our own foundation wax. Another helpful thing is to get your bees started on foundation, just to get the frames straight, then to introduce empty frames one at a time for them to fill up nice and straight and neat with their own-sized honeycomb. "Semi-foundationless" would be a good name for that approach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12