Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wax foundation mould press

Wax press1.jpgSo I have been collecting information over the past weeks trying to find a way to begin making my own foundation for my hives....I have noted such devices as presses-(water jacketed) and the like, mills, silicone moulds, etc.... Since I began this hobby, I have just let the bees be bees and make their own comb and until now that was just fine. As I have been thinking of broading my population of the female work force, I have decided to aid the girls with the surplus natural wax that I am collecting. (I practice chemical free beekeeping) My thought on this venture is it will not be cheap initially (but are most things). Please know that all of your advice on this forum is greatly appreciated and has been most helpful in my decision on what peice of equipment I have found and decided is best for my needs.

This is a moulding press that is air cooled (no water hook-ups), uses silicone molds and compressed air to seperate the wax from the moulds. Still it is (unfortunately) expensive, but a better price than it's water-cooled counterparts and certainly cheaper than the mills that I have researched. It is made in Germany.

here is the link: http://www.alfranseder.de/Foundation-Mold.html

Youtube: Place this into url on YT website: mittelwandgussform.mp4

Hope this aides someone else in their affairs.
    Last edited by jmallard28; 11-13-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Add pictures

Default Re: Wax foundation mould press

What's the price of the press? You can get roller presses for around $800.
    Regards, Barry

This will run about the same with shipping to US.Wax press 2.jpg

If they are the same price go with the roller. no comparision. the roller is much more productive and produces a better product. go to dee lusbys site. she explains making fdn the best I have seen.

I agree. Less to go wrong with a roller mill, and faster? Perhaps.
    Regards, Barry

Id like to find out how much these are :
    http://www.china-bees.cn/mfjj/_notes/pmccyyq.htm

I ddint get a email reply - I think language is the problem. Would like to know the cost to Australia.

The air machine looks like its ok too. I would like to be able to make my own foundation over the winter 1 sheet at a time

Quote Originally Posted by jmallard28 View Post
    This will run about the same with shipping to US.Wax press 2.jpg
    Hmmm. Looks kinda like a waffle iron. That gives me some ideas.
    A cold bee smoker is bad for the soul.

Interesting low-production unit, especially for price if the Euro falls dramatically.

It could be a hit for a health food fanatic beekeeper - clean wax foundation for local, wildflower honey-in-the-comb producer...

jmallard - Thanks for the link!

Barry - the price is 560 Euros, but there are other gadgets to buy, and he didn't list shipping to U.S. from Austria.

Irwin - Thanks for the archive!
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 11-27-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: omission

I received an email from Alfranseder (the inventor) giving a price range of 52-73 euros based on increments of 10 Kg for shipping. I like your thinking Kilocharlie. I too am watching the Euro.

There was a plan for building your own in an old beekeeping book our public library had. I cannot put my finger on it right now as I copied the pages and filed them away after I built my own. Spent around $20 and it's a "waffle iron" style that uses "water cement."

But the wax would stick to the two plates and rip and tear. I tried teflon spray, PAM baking spray. It caused so much profanity I gave up. I still have the stupid thing. I'm trying to find someone I don't like so I can give it to them.

Foundationless frames saved my religion.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I think you're referring to Keeping Bees by John Vivian. I made the press as well and had the same problems you had. I still have that do-it-yourself attitude and will try another design when I finally run out of my own wax foundation that I milled at Dee's.
    Regards, Barry

I had the same book and made the same infernal contraption. Never got a single sheet out of it. That includes the original.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I have one of these, never used it:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/leafpress.html

I like gadgets like these featured above. For some time I have been collecting my cappings and sent it in to be cleaned and rolled. I believe I got back my ( poison free) wax made into foundation.
    Sadly the company requires now 100 kg ( more then 200 lb) of my wax to make a separete batch. Can't recall what the ratio is of honey ; cappings - but I need to grow a bit before I can supply a full batch.
    If I supply my own pre-cleaned wax I pay 46 cents for the rolling. I found this good value.

buushymountainbeefarm.com sells a foundation mold for 325.00 usd it is a silicon mold that is cooled by dipping in a tub or sink of water.

"But the wax would stick to the two plates and rip and tear. I tried teflon spray, PAM baking spray."
    you can buy a waterproofing spray for use on clothing,etc. it may possible help with the sticking problem. especially if used along with the pam.

Manitoba, Canada, North of the 50th Parallel

Resurrecting an older post:

Is there a North-American distributor of the water-cooled press in the first post?

JH
    Happiness comes from within

Grant / Barry / odFrank / anybody - I would be interested in obtaining any aborted waffle iron efforts and will be happy to pay postage. PM me and I'll trade contact info with you. Thanks!

P.s. Once you have the mould, you could try to vacuum-form a plastic separator sheet instead of spraying silicone, Pam, MS-136, PVA, or other mold release agent. PVA (Poly Vynyl Alcohol) is easily washed with water. Other ideas are talcum powder, compressed air, and freezing.