Default making frames question: where to put that third staple so the frame does not

1.staple the top frame to the side of the frame
    2. staple the bottom of the frame to the side
    3. where do i staple the side to the top so it wont come apart when i use my hive tool to work the hives?

see video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPvnO...layer_embedded

Default Re: making frames question: where to put that third staple so the frame does not

americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: making frames question: where to put that third staple so the frame does not

Frames are composed of four main parts, Top Bar, Bottom Bar, and two End Bars. The most critical fasteners are those that go through the top edge of the End Bars and into the Top Bar, just beneath the lugs/ears (which support the frame on the frame rests/rabbets on each end of the hive). Fastener placed here, help hold the Top Bars and End Bars together when forces would tend to separate them. Another fastener placement I have found helpful is to cris-cross two fasteners up through the legs of the End Bars and and into the ends of the Bottom Bars, or alternatively at a right angle, through the bottom legs of the End Bars and into the Bottom Bar.

Illustrations -->

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-13-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

thank you both.. i got it now..

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Frames are composed of four main parts, Top Bar, Bottom Bar, and two End Bars. The most critical fasteners are those that go through the top edge of the End Bars and into the Top Bar, just beneath the lugs/ears (which support the frame on the frame rests/rabbets on each end of the hive). Fastener placed here, help hold the Top Bars and End Bars together when forces would tend to separate them. Another fastener placement I have found helpful is to cris-cross two fasteners up through the legs of the End Bars and and into the ends of the Bottom Bars, or alternatively at a right angle, through the bottom legs of the End Bars and into the Bottom Bar.

Illustrations -->

I would expect the nails from the sides of the bottom of the end bars would split the wood more often than not. Have you found that not to be the case?

I have not nailed or stapled frames in a long time, but, when I learned nails were nailed thru thwe bottom bar into the ends of the end bars. Two nails nailed down thru the top bar into each end bar and a nail thru the end bar into the top bar. Only one when there is a removable wedge.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I use a Dremmel tool to drill pilot holes everywhere that a nail or screw goes into or through wood.

That stops most of the splitting, but every so often one will still split, when they do I set them aside, after I have a dozen or so, with splits, I force Titebond III glue into the split, then clamp until set. After the splits are repaired I make sure there is a good pilot hole before renailing.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni