Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Cool Re: Filling comb with sugar syrup.

Thanks Rod for dragging me into this. B4life should know white sugar is better for your bees then mud. We've feed bees all kinds of things to the bees and yes they still made use a GOOD crop. One year we had a load of strawberry jam gave to us and we mixed it with HFCS. The only bad thing is we had to dump the strawberry seeds out of the feeders. The bees ate the rest. We bought a half load of restaurant mix( sugar, salt, and pepper mixed) for $.02 a lb feed and weed killer all in one. Bees carried the salt out and killed the grass and weeds in front of the hives.

Default Re: Filling comb with sugar syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Thanks Rod for dragging me into this. B4life should know white sugar is better for your bees then mud. We've feed bees all kinds of things to the bees and yes they still made use a GOOD crop. One year we had a load of strawberry jam gave to us and we mixed it with HFCS. The only bad thing is we had to dump the strawberry seeds out of the feeders. The bees ate the rest. We bought a half load of restaurant mix( sugar, salt, and pepper mixed) for $.02 a lb feed and weed killer all in one. Bees carried the salt out and killed the grass and weeds in front of the hives.
    Sorry, I was just using you as the ultimate example of a successful beekeeper who has come up with a way to not have to worry about what his bees have to eat in winter. Bees what bees??? Lol As you pointed out if there is no honey for the bees (because you took it all or because of drought or who knows what) sugar or hfcs beats nothing. And you can be a purist with dead bees or a bad guy who feeds sugar in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by beez4life View Post
    ...just keep on feeding your white sugar and watch your hives die and wonder why.just trying to help you guys out before you kill more bees
    Humans have been feeding sugar to bees for a very long time. We still have bees? How is that possible?
    Sucrose is what bees eat.

In this study caged bees live longer on table sugar then honey or HFCS.

http://www.beesource.com/resources/u...ed-honey-bees/

12/03/2012
    You can easily spray the sugar syrup into the cells with an agricultural "T" fan jet nozzle.
    I cut the brass end off a new hand pump garden sprayer, soldered on a copper fitting with threads, screwed the nozzle on, pumped the pressure up a few pounds and filled the combs. You should be able to fill both sides of a deep frame with a quart of syrup per side for a total of two quarts/frame.
    Good luck.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

The beekeeper in the video would go out and provide a frame of syrup to his hives in the spring, replacing an empty one in the nest. The bees would use that frame of feed up immediately. He said it seemed that they would turn that frame of feed into brood. Worked very well, especially managing hives in singles, where as you do not want to douse them with a pail, and yet you still needed to get some into them.
    The system has kinda gone by the way side, as it is good for a few hundred hives, so much work. Its also messy, and can create a robbing problem if not careful.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I, still for the life of me, canít understand why anyone wants to feed bees by putting sugar syrup into comb. No matter what, the bees must remove it. If they consume it directly they remove it. If they are going to store it they must remove it. They cannot leave it in the cells as is. How can it be any simpler to fill the comb so that the bees can remove it? Practically any other sort of feeder has to be more efficient for both the bees and the keep.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

generally its not used to provide the bees feed to store, its provided at a time where as the feed will be consumed. and yes very time consuming but the bees can access it very easily and its a great way to instantly provide feed to a hive that needs feed
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    the bees can access it very easily and its a great way to instantly provide feed to a hive that needs feed
    I understand that you have much more experience than I do, but I still donít see it. A division board feeder or even some type of top feeder (or even baggies, buckets, jars) will deliver as well or better. In addition the large surface area of exposed syrup increases by a huge factor the likelihood of robbing. It simply appears counterproductive from every aspect, in my opinion.
    But then I suppose, like so many other things, it is something my old brain just can't grasp.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

think of it this way,

In the spring, managing a 10 frame single,
    the beekeeper decides to make a feed round,
    not feeding to bulk the hive up so pail feeding is out of the question

the amount of work to take a frame or two out of the single to put in a feeder, to which is filled with syrup, then remove the feeder in a few days and replace with a frame is more work than if the beekeeper is to simply replace a frame in the hive with a syrup frame.

The feeding is done, the bees access the feed immediately and there is no need to come back and remove the frame feeder.

I do not use this method of feeding but know many who do. Its used for very specific feeding strategies and works very well when developing spring time hives.

a frame feeder is nice but when its only used for two weeks of the year, it basically just gets in the way and adds alot of equipment and expense for no reason,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234