Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Filling comb with sugar syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by beez4life View Post
    all about the money ..you should try thinking like a bee,do they make honey or sugar water.to protect the bee, money is not the answer,giving them the proper food is and there environment isif the bees make honey out of sugar water,it is not true honey from flowers is it? then they store it and eat it for winter, were is all the nutrients ?there is none ,so there immune system gets weak and than they die. not good for the bee feeding them junk food ,just like a human
    We got it. You can stop Preaching now.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

All about the money? Well yea! This beez4life guy sells a single hive (2 mediums) of bees for $785.... That's the highest price I ever heard of.... sounds like someone else is all about the money.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    It takes approx. $1500 for me to make up a tote of sugar syrup, whereas I can buy a tote of HFCS for aprox. $750 (275 gal). I am sure there are places where commercial sugar can be purchased, but the labor factor is pretty big.
    Wow if I could buy HFCS at 1/2 the price of sugar and mixed, I think alot of us would. But the problem is HFCS cost alot more at the store. And even at the bee supplier "bring your ouwn bucket and save" "must buy minimum of $100" and still pay 2x the price of white sugar in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    All about the money? Well yea! This beez4life guy sells a single hive (2 mediums) of bees for $785.... That's the highest price I ever heard of.... sounds like someone else is all about the money.
    I guess we had better stop giving our bees away Herb. Next season my nucs will be for sale at $400.00 each, but only because I am in it for the bees and not the money. Which will be evident by the number I sell. lol

Hey thanks alot for looking at my websight,my products are the best...just keep on feeding your white sugar and watch your hives die and wonder why.just trying to help you guys out before you kill more bees

Hey thanks alot for looking at my websight,my products are the best...just keep on feeding your white sugar and watch your hives die ...
    Its too bad that your marketing skills aren't a little better. As the saying goes, "it's easier to attract bees with honey than with vinegar".

What is the point of insulting potential customers? Put a little more effort into polishing your website, correcting spelling errors, and tone down the rhetoric, and you might sell more ...
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Hey thanks doing just fine. Since you guys have been talking about me ,a client has bought out all my complete hives,thank you very much,again stop feeding white sugar very bad ,that was the point from the start ,just trying to save the bees .we all need to make money,again thanks for puting my web out there

The fact that you have sold out your overpriced complete hives only proves P.T. Barnums maxum "There's a sucker born every minute!"

This guy has 3 years of experience and he's coming on here talking like he's the 2nd coming of Brother Adam or Dadant or Langstroth??? He may have a point that honey is better nutrition than sugar or HFCS, but the point is what are you going to do to keep your bees alive if honey isn't an option? I'm a hobbyist (maybe approaching sideliner) beekeeper who tries to leave enough honey for the bees to overwinter on, but when we are hit with a drought from June to basically now that just wasn't an option was it. There is also a difference between what makes sense for a commercial beekeeper and what makes sense for someone who has a few hives in their backyard. I'm pretty sure Honeyhouseholder is real happy with his arrangement to start over every spring with new bees and not have to worry about what they are eating in the winter. Sounds like Beez4life is happy with his set up, good for him, but don't think he needs to come on here and preach with his first 10 posts 3 years into the hobby/business.

your like beaten a dead horse,I am not trying to preach anything ,my original question was why are you feeding your bees white sugar,it is so bad for them.god did not make white sugar....... again thanks for putting my sight out there.....ps you dont have a clue how long i have been keeping bees......just trying to help the bees thats all

I believe if you read every one of your Posts in this Thread it is you who is beating the deadhorse. And, unless your Profile is wrong, you started out on your own in bees in 2009. Looks like 3 years to me. If that is wrong, you need to be more truthful in your Profile. No one likes to be misled or misinformed.

beez4life:

Your web site (not sight) seems to imply that you use organic/holistic methods to raise your bees. Does this mean you are a "Treatment Free" beekeeper?
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

14 years with my uncle ,3 on my own....good by

....good by
    I guess this means that beez4life is not likely to placing any paid ads in the For Sale forum. Sorry about that, Barry!
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

White sugar (high purity sucrose) is fine for bees, it's what they get in nectar after all. HFCS is fine so long as it doesn't contain any hydroxymethylfurfural, it's very similar to honey.

You should not feed any other sugars to bees -- only high purity sucrose or inverted sugar (a mix of glucose and fructose) or pure high fructose corn syrup. Brown sugar, demerara, or other less refined sugars contain things the bees cannot digest and will give them dysentery.

Bees don't need much protein while clustered until they raise new brood, but they do need a carbohydrate source to provide energy to heat the cluster during winter. How much more "natural" can you get than what plants produce -- sucrose!

Peter

What do you think about agave nectar?

Agave nectar as in the liquid produced by the nectaries in the flowers or some other man-made concoction?

Peter

It is a product found on grocery store shelves labeled Agave Nectar. I don't know how it is produced.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Expensive.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Expensive.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

I'd stick with plain syrup -- less expensive, you know what's in it (nothing but sugar, water, and maybe some apple cider vinegar).

The bees don't need artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, all of which are likely present in the Agave Nectar.

Peter