Hybrid View

Default Filling comb with sugar syrup.

I was thinking of taking my extracted deep frames and putting them into a tub of thick sugar water and letting the cells fill up. Then drying all the water out of them and having a solid sugar source to put into the hives that need feed. They will clean it out as they need it. Kind of a feeder. Has anyone tried this? + - of this idea.

Default Re: Filling comb with sugar syrup.

If you put the frames into a tub of thick sugar water and let the cells fill up, they won't. You'd think they would, but they don't. You have to rain the syrup down onto the cells, otherwise surface tension keeps the cells from gaining much syrup at all.

How would you dry the water out of them?
    When were you going to use them?
    There are better, more practical and convenient, ways to feed. I would bother doing this.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Or laying the frame horizontal and shaking granulated suger into the combs. Let the granulated suger harden by setting in a moist environment for a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by katmike View Post
    Or laying the frame horizontal and shaking granulated suger into the combs. Let the granulated suger harden by setting in a moist environment for a few days?
    Oh I like you idea.

Two reasons. One it is getting to late to feed. The second is for the spring boxes that I wont be able to feed. I like the pour dry sugar idea. I live in Western WA and everything is a moist environment.

Just guessing since I haven’t ever tried this but I think that putting either syrup or sugar into empty comb won’t speed up the delivery process. In both cases I expect that the bees will remove it and put it where they want it. Add to that the fact that they will need to add enzymes, reduce the sugars, and in the case of plain sugar they will need to add moisture as well to make it useful. Once they’ve done that they will store it as they see fit. I think delivering it in a conventional fashion will be as effective….and maybe more so.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Eastside, perform a search through Ron Householder's posts. His beesource name is Honeyhouseholder. He has a system of spraying syrup onto frames, then putting them in with packages late winter. They build up quickly enough that he splits them again in spring and uses them to harvest a honey crop. I remember that he started in a small way with a garden sprayer and now uses something larger.
    Also I recall seeing a video on beesource of French Canadians with a syrup sprayer on a fixed bar; They slid the frames under the sprayer and sprayed syrup into them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Thanks Rod for dragging me into this. B4life should know white sugar is better for your bees then mud. We've feed bees all kinds of things to the bees and yes they still made use a GOOD crop. One year we had a load of strawberry jam gave to us and we mixed it with HFCS. The only bad thing is we had to dump the strawberry seeds out of the feeders. The bees ate the rest. We bought a half load of restaurant mix( sugar, salt, and pepper mixed) for $.02 a lb feed and weed killer all in one. Bees carried the salt out and killed the grass and weeds in front of the hives.
    Sorry, I was just using you as the ultimate example of a successful beekeeper who has come up with a way to not have to worry about what his bees have to eat in winter. Bees what bees??? Lol As you pointed out if there is no honey for the bees (because you took it all or because of drought or who knows what) sugar or hfcs beats nothing. And you can be a purist with dead bees or a bad guy who feeds sugar in those cases.

12/03/2012
    You can easily spray the sugar syrup into the cells with an agricultural "T" fan jet nozzle.
    I cut the brass end off a new hand pump garden sprayer, soldered on a copper fitting with threads, screwed the nozzle on, pumped the pressure up a few pounds and filled the combs. You should be able to fill both sides of a deep frame with a quart of syrup per side for a total of two quarts/frame.
    Good luck.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/