Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Is there a market for scorched , wax melter honey

8K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  jim lyon 
#1 ·
Was wondering if there was a market for this, where and what it usually pays

#2 ·
I don't think there's a market yet...but you could create one. "Dark, smokey honey...perfect for all your cooking needs, making BBQ sauce or when every you want a natural, rich, dark honey with that just smoked flavor."

#4 ·
I always wanted to try Buckwheat Honey. Last year I was at another commercial beekeepers shop and he had buckwheat honey on his shelf so I bought a jar. Coincidently it tastes exactly like my extra dark and over heated melter honey....

#5 ·
I sell several buckets a year to home brewers and a guy who feeds it to his chickens. One purchaser brought me a bottle of "braggart' recently made from the solar honey. In the past I have sold it to folks feeding it to horses and dogs also.

#10 ·
Shannon is correct. It is illegal in Wisconsin to use honey, even melter honey, as bear bait. But aside from that there IS a market for melter honey. We normally negotiate the sale at a reduced rate when we sell our regular crop to any of the packers. Some years the price is better than others. This past year we received $1.15 a pound, which is the highest we've gotten for melter. The year before I think it was $.85. It pretty much comes down to us telling the packer "If you want a semi load of our nice white honey, you need to buy 5-6 drums of melter honey too." This last year the decision of which packer to sell our honey to was ultimately determined by the price they were willing to give us for the melter, as the price for the white was the same. They have industrial accounts that want the dark "full flavored" honey for sausage, bar-b-q sauce and such.

Sheri

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.