Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cyser

Default Re: Cyser

My cyser has come a long way but I am in need of some advice. I racked it about a week ago out of the primary off the fruit and lees and ended up with it being pretty turbid because I had trouble racking. It was at 1.025 and from its OG it is about 16% ABV which I thought was higher than 71b-1122 was supposed to go. It has just about quit working and the clarity is very good. It is the color of a bourbon I would say and tastes pretty good. Not yeasty, no bad tones and still has a bit of C02 fizzy taste. I racked it and got around four gallons with real good clarity. I took the remaining gallon off the lees and set it outside where it is in the low thirties and I bet it will be clarified a lot tomorrow. I tested SG again and it remains at 1.025 and is a pretty sweet drink. My question is, if I added a couple qts of water to what clarifies off the lees to top off the 5 gallon carboy, do you think it will work out some more of the sweetness? Now this is no thin tasteless mead. Do you think it would really damage it to add that much water? I still have a gallon of the cider I used to make this mead, but it is SG 1.125 and that would jack up my sweetness even farther! What do you think I should do? My goal was to have mead for Christmas and this is drinkable if you like it sweet now. Is something like this good mulled with some cinnamon maybe? Thoughts please

I have no advice to make a drinkable Christmas mead at this point. Sampling is fine but meads that I make like to age. Remember the old ads for "we will sell no wine before its time"?

sound advice

I made a small batch of cyser that was a complete success. Using Whole Food's organic apple juice, Lalvin EC-1118 and some honey from cappings. The starting gravity was 1.126 and part of the fermenttion was at 40F or colder.

I would need to measure the SG again as I didn't write it down...

The result is clear, sweet, with a nice level of alcohol, and it has retained apple and honey flavors.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Congratulations. I am enjoying mine now too, but it is too sweet for me really. The dates in my mine come on a little strong, but the apple and honey are definately there. The ladies love it. I am still waiting for the batch I made with EC-1118 to stop tasting like rocket fuel. It is potent. It is time to start another batch but I haven't decide what and more important, who is going to drink all this booze.

I dont think your batch with 1118 will ever stop tasting like rocket fuel. I think that yeast is mostly used by bootleggers makin shine.

I can understand your suspicion, it is potent. I am just like a hog and have nothing but time so I'll let it sit for another year and then see what kind of shine it makes if it is still no good.

I do not promote illegal activity but feel the need to mention.

Remember apples produce a fair amount of methyl alcohol, which happens to be the first alcohol that comes off. Watch you temps!

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    I dont think your batch with 1118 will ever stop tasting like rocket fuel. I think that yeast is mostly used by bootleggers makin shine.
    I just started another small batch with "1118". It is slowly bubbling away at 45F

My cyser doesn't have a hint of "rocket fuel".
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 02-28-2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: typo
    BeeCurious

Interesting. Who would have thought to use it as a lagering yeast.

So does it finish at 17 or 18 percent alcohol?

I cold crash it when i decide that I like it...
    I would need to measure the FG. And I am keeping it in the fridge for now. A beek friend tasted it yesterday and he liked it. It has a nice amount of alcohol and flavor.

I have never made beer but the 1118 yeast is often used by cider makers.
    BeeCurious

So let me understand how you use 1118.

You ferment it at 45F and then cold crash it to say 32F when you are happy with the taste and fermentation level?

Lagering yeasts generally stay cool (mid 50s) and when the lagering process actually starts you slowly reduce the temp to the level you want which is typically mid to low 40s.

I also racked it once or twice...
    BeeCurious

I appreciate the scoop on 1118. I will have to try it once I have my lagering frig set back up to where it needs to be.

I declared my cyser done and bottled and corked this evening. Amazing but only 12 bottles and some lees survived the evaporative process. It ended up at 1.015 close as I can figure. I failed to be careful when reading the recipe and used twice the dates and raisens the recipe I used called for. It was too much dates yet last Christmas when the carboy suffered some fairly serious leakage and some bottle went to various places with tasting corks. That excess fruityness is gone and the honey taste has really started to shine. I bought a large supply of marbles and solved the headspace problem with them. It was almost too convienient to sample and make up the void. My first batch of Rocket fuel that resulted from AGAIN! My inattention when I used EC-1118 instead of a yeast that finished sooner, is still sitting there exuding evil I guess. According to a proprietor of a good brew shop, it will one day make me very happy I didn't dump it. TIme for an encore batch before the basement warms up. 68 was excellent for fermentation I found and it is still around that and actually more uniform now that the furnace isn't running, just the water heater.

I am doing an encore of this cyser. I used half of the raisens and dates and more cider and held the honey the same. Conditions in the brewspace are warmer (72) which resulted in it working out and down below 1 in four days! When I saw that I panicked and added another three pounds of honey and an additional ounce of dap and yeast nutrient. It is back chugging along. If it goes dry again which I doubt, I will let if finish, stabilize it and backsweeten. The reason for the bigger batch was to have extra for topping off after racking and I think I need to 3 gallon carboys so I can add some ginger to half.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12