Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default F-650, what size bed?

I recently purchased a F-650 that I would like to liciense under 260000 lbs, the truck does not have a flat bed on it yet. I would like someones input on what length of bed works best on this model truck for optimal bee moving potential, while still operating safely. I use Double deep hives on 4 way pallets that are 33" wide. I am concidering either a 20' bed (7 rows, 3 high= 168 hives) or 17' (6 rows, 3 high=144 hives). The truck does have air brakes, any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Default Re: F-650, what size bed?

What do you think the curb weight will be on that F650 once you add the flat bed. I am thinking that 168 hives will probably take you over that 26K poundage.

Intercontinental Truck Bodies.
    They make the finest, strongest, and lightest beds for beekeeping.
    Their aluminum beds weigh as much as HALF of what some steel beds weigh.
    All of that saved weight equals more hives you can carry. And when you chose to take the 26k route, every pound counts.
    Unfortunatly, they do not have pictures of flat beds on their site but I'll bet they will email you some.
    Many of their beds are in use in Oregon and we are very happy with them.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

no one cannot answer this question without knowing the wheel base. how far is it from the back of the cab to the end of the frame. If the wheels are in the middle of the bed it will handle terrible. weight has to loaded so some is added to the front axle with more added to the rear axle. without this balance you will have trouble loading to get max weight to be legal. what is the empty wt. reguardless the rear wheels have to be back of the middle of the rack so some wt is added to the front axle when loaded.

The F-650 has a titled GVWR of 26000. So it doesn't matter how much weight you acutally put on it as long as its </= 26000. Plus if your pulling a loader around the GVWR of the trailer will have to be added. My truck is has a 33,000 GVWR with an 18' bed and a 204" wheel base. My curb weight is around 12000 lbs. With 144 hives I'm at around 28500 lbs. With my swinger and trailer (about 6000 lbs) all togather my total gross is about 34500. Well above the CDL limit. My truck is a Freightliner FL-80.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

In ny if you pull a trailer they give an added 10,000 lbs to your gross reguardless of the type of trailer. this works in all the states you go thru with the new laws. so by hooking on to a trailer you can gross 36,000 without a cdl. as told by ny dot inspector.

From what I here from a trucker friend who loves to haul bees, most weigh stations out here in the middle just wave you on thru as they don't want you stopping and getting them bee polluted. Who gets checked?

First of all. You bought a truck and then want to decide how long a bed to build? Cart before horse?

What is the wheel base?
    What is the GVWR?

I have an F-450 long wheelbase w/ 16,500 GVWR. My bed is 14ft and a cpl inches. Whatever 33inches times 5 is. And I pull a trailer w/ Bobcat Skidsteer Loader on it.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Beeware, That's only if the trailer isn't tagged for a weight. The acutally states that its the titled GVWR. I've had to argue with many a highly trained and undereducated DOT officer about it. The CDL law applies to the combination. If your truck is under the CDL and your trailer is 10001 GVWR then you need a class A otherwise you only need a class B with airbrakes.

Vance, I get checked often enough that I don't try to "see what I can get away with" anymore. At least once a month when we're in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    Beeware, That's only if the trailer isn't tagged for a weight. The acutally states that its the titled GVWR. I've had to argue with many a highly trained and undereducated DOT officer about it. The CDL law applies to the combination. If your truck is under the CDL and your trailer is 10001 GVWR then you need a class A otherwise you only need a class B with airbrakes.

Vance, I get checked often enough that I don't try to "see what I can get away with" anymore. At least once a month when we're in Michigan.
     A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds

You need a class A CDL

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Weber View Post
    I recently purchased a F-650 that I would like to liciense under 260000 lbs the truck does not have a flat bed on it yet. I would like someones input on what length of bed works best on this model truck for optimal bee moving potential, while still operating safely. I use Double deep hives on 4 way pallets that are 33" wide. I am concidering either a 20' bed (7 rows, 3 high= 168 hives) or 17' (6 rows, 3 high=144 hives). The truck does have air brakes, any help would be appreciated, Thanks

WOW 260,000 lbs.
    BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Um Jim...That's what I said...If the truck is under CDL and and your trailer is over 10001 then you need a class A If its not...which would be less than 26000...So I'm confused on what your wagging your finger at.

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    Um Jim...That's what I said...If the truck is under CDL
    If the truck is under CDL and and your trailer is over 10001 then you need a class A If its not...which would be less than 26000...So I'm confused on what your wagging your finger at.

Truck is 16,000 and your trailer is over 10001 GVWR of more than 26,000 you need a class A CDL the truck and the trailer are under CDL laws.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Class A is required to drive combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

Class B is required to drive single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds; the operator may tow a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.

Class C is for cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

Endorsement J Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR.
    Additional written and skills tests are required.

need CDL ,class B should be all you need without air brakes

You do not need CDL if the 'truck' is rated for 26000 OR LESS, and you may pull a trailer with gvwr of 10000 OR LESS, and may pull a trailer with gvwr of 10001 OR MORE with J ENDORSEMENT
    You do need a CDL if the "truck" is rated for 26001 OR MORE
    Trailer rating is separate, we are not talking combination vehicles such as tractor-trailers

Quote Originally Posted by Thermwood View Post
    You do not need CDL if the 'truck' is rated for 26000 OR LESS, and you may pull a trailer with gvwr of 10000 OR LESS, and may pull a trailer with gvwr of 10001 OR MORE with J ENDORSEMENT
    You do need a CDL if the "truck" is rated for 26001 OR MORE
    Trailer rating is separate, we are not talking combination vehicles such as tractor-trailers
    Or truck-trailer As a combination vehicles and no J ENDORSEMENT in MA.you do not need a ENDORSEMENT for RV

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Last edited by Jim 134; 11-11-2011 at 06:53 PM.

thermwood-- yes that is what I was told by a nys dot inspector. there are a lot of rumors out there. just be careful not to go over. then they got ya. your out of class and overweight.

LOL here we go again. Just for fun lets throw in the the farm exemption!!
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by swarm_trapper View Post
    LOL here we go again. Just for fun lets throw in the the farm exemption!!
    Nick
    Ever feel like pounding your head into a wall? Happens to me all the time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast