Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you really need to register your Honey house with the FDA?

Registration of Food Facilities
    Login / Create Account1
    OMB Approval Number: 0910-0502
    OMB Expiration Date: 08/31/2013
    See OMB Burden Statement2.
    The Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 (the Bioterrorism Act) directs the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as the food regulatory agency of the Department of Health and Human Services, to take additional steps to protect the public from a threatened or actual terrorist attack on the U.S. food supply and other food-related emergencies.

To carry out certain provisions of the Bioterrorism Act, FDA has established new regulations requiring that:

Food facilities are registered with FDA, and
    FDA be given advance notice on shipments of imported food.
    The Bioterrorism Act requires domestic and foreign facilities that manufacture, process, pack, or hold food for human or animal consumption in the U.S. to register with the FDA by December 12, 2003.

Owners, operators, or agents in charge of domestic or foreign facilities that manufacture/process, pack, or hold food for consumption in the U.S. are required to register the facility with the FDA.

Domestic facilities are required to register whether or not food from the facility enters interstate commerce.

Foreign facilities that manufacture/process, pack, or hold food also are required to register unless food from that facility undergoes further processing (including packaging) by another foreign facility before the food is exported to the United States. However, if the subsequent foreign facility performs only a minimal activity, such as putting on a label, both facilities are required to register.

Default Re: Do you really need to register your Honey house with the FDA?

By all means! Bleat about this needing done! We need many more rules and regulations! Leave it alone. There are so many laws that we are all jailable at any given time anyway.

i think it may have been filtered down to state level. here in WA your supposed to register your hive... some of the blurbadge looks identical to the states.

Think about this people. If you have a back yard beehive do you think the FDA / Homeland Security is concerned about you and six others? They are concerned about 6000 or 6 million others not you and your neighbors. I don't ever expect to file anything with the FDA.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Who's the FDA?
    You get what you get.

On planet Ace? anything and everything.

Yep, that sounds like the regulation as written that shut down two Georgia producers last year. Yep, if you sell honey to the public you are supposed to register your facilities. Should you do so? That I will not comment on. AS a Sioux member, those government boys pretty well know where the membership's processing plants are. I have not seen the plant inspectors yet, but suspect they will show up one day. They sure did a Sherman last year and stomped through Georgia. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

dr.buzz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    There are so many laws that we are all jailable at any given time anyway.
    You are most unfortunately correct. We can get cut from the herd at any time. The weak live at the mercy of the strong.

Our facility is registered with the FDA. It is also certified and inspected by the state and the city.
    Registering with the FDA is.the least of it...I think it took about 5 min.

Deknow

Honey isn't a processed food, its no different than selling tomatoes, or corn from the garden.
    Dan

Extracting honey is a process. Picking tomatoes and corn is not.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Extracting honey is a process.
    So is getting out of bed sometime after a day working the bee's.

Exempt from records maintenance are:
    • Farms
    • Restaurants
    • Nonprofi t operations that prepare food for or serve food directly to consumers
    • Fishing vessels not engaged in processing
    • Persons regulated exclusively by the U.S. Department of Agriculture under various
    statutes
    Defi nitions
    Farms are defi ned as facilities in one general physical location devoted to growing and
    harvesting crops, the raising of animals, or both. The term “farm” also includes facilities
    that pack or hold food provided that all food used in such activities is grown, raised or
    consumed on that farm or another farm under the same ownership, and facilities that
    manufacture/process food, provided that all food used in such activities is consumed on
    that farm or another farm under the same ownership. A farm-operated roadside stand
    that sells food directly to consumers as its primary function would be exempt from
    registration as a retail food establishment. RDY-B

Seems to be a contradiction in the definitions listed above. The keywords are consumed on the farm. So what is the difference between a commercial beek like myself that sell the product to the packer and the little beek that sells it off the back of his pickup truck at a flea or farmers market to the public??? I really see no difference. Both scenerios are potential sources of contamination by Akmed the dead terrorist beekeeper. Beekeepers are a proud, honest bunch of people ,who are proud of the products of the hive they produce. But having said this, so far as an industry, we have been lucky. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

Exposure Ted. You affect a lot more of the population and therefore are a greater risk.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Extracting honey is a process. Picking tomatoes and corn is not.
    So just sell comb honey.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

I think that might fly if you picked a frame of honey out of your hive and sold it as is. I don't know what the classification would be if you cut it out of the frame and packaged it. It is hard to get by the packaging process if you are selling to the general public.
    Brian Cardinal

whether extracting/bottling honey is processing or not seems to change depending on the circumstances, and who (in various health departments) you talk to.

At least here in Massachusetts, if you are buying in honey in bulk and bottling it yourself, you are required to be certified....although you can sell (I think) up to $50k bottled in your uncertified/uninspected kitchen.

Of course, it's common practice for beekeepers to buy in honey and pretend to their customers, and to their local health departments, that they produced it themselves (it is certainly often labeled that way).

Ted, beekeepers may be an honest bunch, but I don't know what to call such common (and well established) practices if not dishonest.

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    Seems to be a contradiction in the definitions listed above. The keywords are consumed on the farm
    THE key word is *OR*--sometimes its hard to distinguish the letter of the law from the spirit
    http://www.masterbeekeeper.org/pdf/bioterror.pdf -RDY-B

Good link but still it is a contradiction....My honey goes to Sioux, which then test it severely in a lab that is regulated by the government. So all possible contaminents are then known. I even get a base line showing what pesticides have ever been used in my operation and at what levels.......Now who checks the local small beek that sells to roadside stands, flea markets and out the door of his house???? Does anybody even know what might be in there??? I am not saying the average beek does not do a very good job-they do. The wholesomeness of honey has been upheld but we have been lucky also..... Historically, when contamination of a food product or a medicinal product has occured. The intentional tapering was done by a disgruntled lone wolf individual with pyscotic tendencies. TED.