Default Bad weather, no mating

We are in the middle of a very long drawn out spring. In 7 years at my current location, we usually see a few days over 70 every week or so from the beginning of April onward. Meaning that typically we start raising cells the end of March or early April and continue through the season.
    This year is evidently not one of those years. My first batch of cells (round 1) is coming up on 20 days post emergence with no mating weather in sight. I think a few got out on a couple of borderline days, but I think the success is pretty low.
    I have a batch of cells ripe Wednesday. I am somewhat inclined to dig through the round one nucs and kill any virgins and replace with a fresh cell.
    My question is this. The bees in the nucs are getting old. There was a little brood 20+ days ago when I placed the last cells, but that will be gone. Would you just kill the virgins and place a new cell? Or add another scoop of bulk bees? Or dump them and restock with fresh bees? Or forget it entirely, setup a fresh set of nucs (minis), and wait another couple weeks for round one so I can kill drone layers instead of virgins??
    Thanks

Default Re: Bad weather, no mating

You have 21 days from emergence to get them mated. If it goes past that, yes, I would just dispose of the virgins and put new cells in. Feeding often sets off mating flights when there is a dearth...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

You are definately not alone in the bad WX department in reguard to mating flights...
    I just got back from Sacramento and thought I would pick up a few queens and wasnt able to because the large queen breeders in Cal. didnt have good weather and couldn't fill orders, let alone for a walk in with a request for a few queens....Looks like I get italians this year, at least they will get me rolling then I can replace them with local cold weather queens....

==McBee7==

Man, bees will never cease to amaze me.
    i was pretty sure the aforementioned batch of cells was going to be a total waste. I had almost a hundred cells ripe and ready a couple days ago. Most got introduced into 3 framers, but needing to find homes for the last 30 cells, I went into those round 1 minis. I thought I was going to be squishing virgin after virgin after virgin, and instead I found probably 80% take with queens just starting to lay out a beautiful pattern. I did squish a few virgins, and found a few that failed to emerge or accept, but mostly I found really nice laying queens. I caged them, a lot earlier than I usually like to (day 16 instead of 21-28 or more) and introduced them into 4 framers. My guess is they wont be the MOST awesomely mated queens, but it looks like they got out and got it done.
    It just boggles my mind. 69 degrees on calm sunny afternoons is always the temp I have been told. Looking at the weather the last couple weeks I think there has been maybe a few hours on a couple of days that would work, but I guess it did.

Finally getting ready for some queen rearing. We are getting our first forecast with pockets of above 20 C weather.

Quote Originally Posted by lharder View Post
    Finally getting ready for some queen rearing. We are getting our first forecast with pockets of above 20 C weather.
    More snow today. I haven´t even opened my hives this year.
    TF since 2008, max 1 nuc/hive, no swarm collecting, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html, YouTube juhanilunden