Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Who's using 1 1/4" (narrow) frames?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Solomon Parker 
#1 ·
And for those of you who are using all mediums (or one-size operations), did you cut down all of your frames, or just a certain amount for use in the brood nests?
Would you recommend cutting down frames to make them narrow spacing?

Thanks,

Adam

#2 ·
I have been trimming down many of my frames to 1-1/4" width end bars, making the center-to-center frame spacing to 1-1/4". I haven't converted all of them because I'm basically lazy and many wider spaced combs are in use, making their trimming more difficult. However, I endeavor to trim down most new frames before I place them into service.

#6 ·
The narrower frames allow me to fit either eleven frames in a ten frame super, nine frames in an eight frame super, or eight frames in an eight frame super with side racks -->

I like to trim the top bars narrower and then the end bars on my band saw before they are assembled.

#12 ·
I built a frame jig and am preparing to assemble several hundred medium frames. I want to trim them down to a narrower width, but am afraid they'll split easier when I put the top bars in. We want to go nine frames in eight-frame boxes. These are Kelley foundationless frames, and it's tight fit getting the top bar in. Anyone had problems with narrower end pieces splitting easier?

#13 ·
I've done it with Kelley frames, those ears on the end bars that fit around the top bars (probably what you are referring to), will sometimes split or break-off, I've had it happen to about one out of thirty, or so. I haven't seen it happen with more after trimming them narrower, but either way they are easy to fix with a good wood glue and a few small clamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.