Smile Las Vegas Beginner

I'm hoping to begin keeping bees in the very near future as I'm retiring in January and feel I'll finally have the time to devote to this new hobby. I'm concerned about the conditions in the Las Vegas area for beekeeping. Is it a viable endeavor given the long, hot summers? I live on 1/2+ acre in an area of town with a lot of horse properties. There is an orchard (Gilcrese (sp??)) just a few blocks away with about 40 acres of all type of fruit trees and vegetables.

Also, from my reading so far, the Top Bar style of hives seem to be the simplest to work with for a beginner. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for any comments.

Jim.....

Default Re: Las Vegas Beginner

Is Beekeeping even more of a crap shoot in Vegas?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Does anyone else keep bees near where you live? They would be the ones to know what you should expect. Maybe there is someone else here who can answer you too. Best of beekeeping.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I'm about 3 hours from you in Blythe , Ca. The long hot summer is when we get our honey flow here. Is there any cotton or alfalfa around ? I would suggest a regular Langsrtroth style hive . Especially for a beginner , but that's just me.

Thanks a lot for the responses so far. I guess that is my next question: Is anyone on this forum in Las Vegas? I'd sure like to do some "brain picking" during the next month or so before I get started.

Thanks again,

Jim.....

If you have done the research to know what your startup costs are going to be then go for it and keep us up to date as to how its going. For starters in that climate you will need a shady place preferable out of sight from casual passersby and a source of water closer than your neighbors swimming pool or dog dishes. Best of luck.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Welcome to beekeeping! Top bar hives are neither simpler nor more natural. Hive inspection requires a little more care. An Italian hive tool or long knife would be good until you get the girls on comb you want.
    If your small hive beetle population increases put the hive in full sun. I even have some gray and some black covers when I want to control the shb.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

SHB will not be your biggest problem in that climate, you may well not even see one. Desert heat and full sun however can be devastating to a hive with out at the very least a secondary shade board on the top.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I started raising bees this year in Vegas and live down the road from you near Elkhorn and Durango, my bees are doing great. I have a friend that lives closer to you and he's had 6 hives for the past couple of years and he's doing great. I stuck with a standard hive with mediums, have a closer water source, mostly shaded area in a small backyard and life is great. Let me know if you have specific questions or need any help.

WOW....really glad to hear of someone this close. I'd sure like to hear from you if you don't mind.
    I'm on Grand Teton and Maverick (just west of Jones).
    My cell is: 241.6114

Quote Originally Posted by jim6171 View Post
    WOW....really glad to hear of someone this close. I'd sure like to hear from you if you don't mind.
    I'm on Grand Teton and Maverick (just west of Jones).
    My cell is: 241.6114
    This is a friendly place and most here have the best of intentions. However, in today's world, I would suggest not putting hone numbers in an open message. You never know who's looking. A private message would be more secure. Just my $0.02.

PS: Tell the Old Man, Rick, Hoss and Chum I said hello!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Greg, for the tip. It's just a work cell, not a home phone. I am well aware, though, of all of the trouble makers and their schemes on the internet these days. Well, at least most of them.

A couple of friends are IT workers and keep me pretty well informed.

Hope to meet up with a LV beekeeper shortly.

Jim.....

I am new to this forum, I live south of town and plan on 3 hives to start. I have been reading,and ltalians see to be the ticket for the heat is this correct ? Where did you buy your bees from? I want to install in 2 honey cows(TBH) and one langs how much shade do you suggest? I am on over an acre and have a self watering system that I can tie into for the bees, however no grass just dirt. I close to Star and Moon Valley Nurserys 2 miles as the bee flys, 2 Home depots and 3 parks, so I feel they will have enough to live off
    so glad I found this web page.

One thing to look out for is the feral bees in LV are largely africanized. I found this out while trying to find help with a removal for my brotherinlaw who lives there. Nobody wanted the swarm. It quickly got to the point where it was agressively defending his small yard against the family and dog. I would pretty much insist on marked queens so you know when your bees have superceded (replaced queen) and you can be alert to any change for the worse in disposition. I would put the hives in full shade if it were me. Have fun.

The best part of my trip to LV was walking down the strip and being able to photograph bees working flowers on a bush in front of the hard Rock!
    Meridith
    I am frequently confused!

Would appear swarming is of concern in Vegas

http://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/Publications/21803.htm