Hybrid View

Smile Las Vegas Beginner

I'm hoping to begin keeping bees in the very near future as I'm retiring in January and feel I'll finally have the time to devote to this new hobby. I'm concerned about the conditions in the Las Vegas area for beekeeping. Is it a viable endeavor given the long, hot summers? I live on 1/2+ acre in an area of town with a lot of horse properties. There is an orchard (Gilcrese (sp??)) just a few blocks away with about 40 acres of all type of fruit trees and vegetables.

Also, from my reading so far, the Top Bar style of hives seem to be the simplest to work with for a beginner. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for any comments.

Jim.....

Default Re: Las Vegas Beginner

Is Beekeeping even more of a crap shoot in Vegas?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Does anyone else keep bees near where you live? They would be the ones to know what you should expect. Maybe there is someone else here who can answer you too. Best of beekeeping.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I'm about 3 hours from you in Blythe , Ca. The long hot summer is when we get our honey flow here. Is there any cotton or alfalfa around ? I would suggest a regular Langsrtroth style hive . Especially for a beginner , but that's just me.

Thanks a lot for the responses so far. I guess that is my next question: Is anyone on this forum in Las Vegas? I'd sure like to do some "brain picking" during the next month or so before I get started.

Thanks again,

Jim.....

If you have done the research to know what your startup costs are going to be then go for it and keep us up to date as to how its going. For starters in that climate you will need a shady place preferable out of sight from casual passersby and a source of water closer than your neighbors swimming pool or dog dishes. Best of luck.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Welcome to beekeeping! Top bar hives are neither simpler nor more natural. Hive inspection requires a little more care. An Italian hive tool or long knife would be good until you get the girls on comb you want.
    If your small hive beetle population increases put the hive in full sun. I even have some gray and some black covers when I want to control the shb.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com