Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Videos: Heathland Beekeeping in straw skeps

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapfe View Post
    So now, if they only "got rid" of the bees in the skeps but they don't kill them, please explain to us how one is able to get rid of a "stock" a.k.a. hive of bees living in a skep without killing it.
    Umm, shake them into an empty skep?

Quote Originally Posted by wildforager View Post
    Yea, seems confusing doesn't it. When the films show how they shake the adult bees out and put them into another skep. ...Then they over winter the new skeps with sugar water. I don't know why the commentator would say that the "Stocks are DISPOSED of..." unless he's talking about the brood.
    Is it possible they mean their stocks of used skeps is disposed of after removing the honey etc?
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

well, I just re-watched the videos last night. The mention of comment that "Stocks are DISPOSED of..." had no specific location with the previous posters info. So I watched several of the videos closely. The only area that talks of disposing is when they're done melting wax and filtering out the solids. The solids ( brood cocoons, etc) are disposed of. Thats the only mention that I can find where those words are used.
    To find out more about me go to
    www.broomsbylittlejohn.com

Omie, he uses the term 'stocks' where we might use the terms 'colony' or 'hive' but distinct from 'skep'.

These are fantastic videos, however, I would never willingly keep bees in that manner. There's a whole lot of bending over.

I'm going to post them on my website and blog. The educational benefit is incredibly valuable. Every beekeeper should watch these videos in order to understand beekeeping history and why historically wax and honey were so valuable and how modern beekeeping equipment increased productivity so much. Did you hear how much honey was produced? It seems to me to be a better producer of wax and bees than honey. It seems that it would have made much more sense to shake out poor performers and replace them with the good performers that were robbed than just to mix them all together. It's also interesting how prime swarms are sold while secondary swarms are the ones used for increase. But, their system works for them. It seems they have selected for swarms who cast secondary swarms while here it seems a bit more rare.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I have downloaded the videos and edited them into one film. I don't feel comfortable reposting them to youtube without the OP's permission. Contact me off list if you want a copy.

Thanks,
    Little John
    I did slurp them down from youtube and converted them to play with the windows media player. I was hoping to get a copy of the original, because youtube reformats them in a smaller formal with less resolution.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

well after days of watching(slow hotel internet connection) i finanlly finished the videos. a great peek into Skep bee keeping... makes me glad i dont have to use skeps lol

Here is some more information I found on the smoker.

In Germany, originally for use inside bee houses, an unusual smoker rather like a large metal smoking pipe has been developed. Known as an Imker Pfeife (beekeeper's pipe). It is used with coarse tobacco stalks or herbal smoking mixture, it is blown rather than sucked. The picture was taken from the website of R. Meiers Sohne AG
    Link to R.Meiers
    http://www.bienen-meier.ch/default.htm

I also googled Beekeepers Pipe but still have not come up with a source for them in the U.S.
    I did find them on one or two other sites all German.

Edit to add a link to another site. I hope it shows up in english for all of you.
    http://bijenhof.e-motions.be/cataloo...groep_code=21J

Hi Daniel,

I've found several German sites that sell the Primus Imker Pfeife (thats the largest model) but I have not gotten a positive reply. When I've asked if they sell and ship to the USA they say that they do not "export" their products. Guess I have to keep looking.

Thanks,
    Little John

Quote Originally Posted by Omie View Post
    Is it possible they mean their stocks of used skeps is disposed of ...
    If they keep and recycle the small thin sticks that serve the same purpose as frame wire does in a Dadant style hive, and reuse these thin wooden needles the next year, what makes us think that a skep beek is going to dispose of a perfectly good skep once the bees are gone?

I used the extra hour last night to view some of these flicks again. They plainly stated that many of their skeps were 100 or more years old. There is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with keeping bees in skeps, but do look at the reality of the situation and don't romanticize something just because it was done that way back when Caesar started shaving.
    Last edited by Scrapfe; 11-06-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Just a little correction. The product is called Imkerpfeife. One word. In English we tend to keep things as two words, in Germany it just becomes on long word. I thought I throw this out, because it may generate more hits when searching for it.

Thank you.

Hello to all,

yes, these beautiful tools are called Imkerpfeife, and You can buy them on

http://www.holtermann-shop.de/index....y/pfeifen.html

Best regards
    Kai

Quote Originally Posted by abelius-kiel View Post
    Hello to all,yes, these beautiful tools are called Imkerpfeife, and You can buy them onhttp://www.holtermann-shop.de/index....y/pfeifen.htmlBest regardsKai
    Is there an English version of that site?

odfrank, You can cut and paste the web address into google translator and choose for it to display in English.

Kai, That site has responded to my direct email. They do not ship to the USA and probably do not accept american funds. If you have a better source for the imkerpfeife please let us know.

dr.buzz Guest

Did anyone else notice the tiny amount of syrup he was feeding his skeps in those little dishes? Maybe I've been over-feeding my bees, but they would pull a knife on me if I showed up with a little kitty saucer like that....Why do you suppose it has any effect to feed so little?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.buzz View Post
    Why do you suppose it has any effect to feed so little?
    My impression was 1. frequency, at one point it was saying they fill the feeders every day. 2. tiny tiny hives in comparison to a lang.

Those a pretty deep dishes and the hold the same as a boardman feeder. The skep itself is only 16" tall, so they cannot use a very large feeder. Looks like they go by several times per day refilling it.

It would be similar to overwintering nucs. Michael Palmer overwinters 4 frame deep nucs in Vermont. They don't need as much honey when it is a smaller hive.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

odfrank, You can cut and paste the web address into google translator and choose for it to display in English.Kai, That site has responded to my direct email. They do not ship to the USA and probably do not accept american funds. If you have a better source for the imkerpfeife please let us know.
    Thanks for the translation hint. That is a great website. Too bad they won't ship to us, not that we could afford it.

Well, the way things are going maybe the Euro will be about the same as the dollar soon! :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast