Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Videos: Heathland Beekeeping in straw skeps

26K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  pbuhler 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

do You know "Heathland Beekeekping" in Germany? There are interesting films about this traditional way of beekeeping in straw skeps.

You can find 8 nice films on this site: http://www.honey-bees.de/videos/75-heathland-traditional-beekeeping-skep-apiary-videos.html

The films show the old European Heather Bee Apis mellifera mellifera (Dark European Honey Bee), kept in bee straw skeps. The film was made in the 1970 years in the Northern German area "Lüneburger Heide" near Hamburg. Today this traditional way of beekeeping has been replaced by modern Langstroth or Dadant bee hive magazines.

Best regards from Germany
Kai

#43 ·
Regarding the "disposing" of the stocks, according to the book "Skeps: Their History, Making & Use" colonies were either suffocated or driven from the hives prior to harvest. Toward the end of skep dominance it sounds like more beekeepers were using the "driving" method. Especially if harvesting in the fall, the colonies would be driven from the skep being harvested into a skep with an established colony -- essentially combined. This way they would have enough stores to overwinter. In this process, of course, any brood would be lost -- which I believe you can see the beekeeper cutting out when selecting the combs to crush/strain in the videos.

Matt

#44 ·
Just wanted to say that Wildforager came through in shining colors. I also wanted to thank him in public for the effort. I got my brand new Imkerpfeifen (Beekeepers Pipe) yesterday. So I may be a newbie but I got one really awesome smoker.
I heard a roomer that he has a few more, but only a few so if anyone is interested you might want to pester him a bit. They are the same thing you see in the videos with the cork and everything.
I am just tickled.

#46 ·
Ace, I fired it up for the first time this afternoon. I was a bit concerned about getting smoke blown int eh entrance of a lang if it was setting on the ground. I can blow smoke all the way to the ground if I am trying and I am over 6 feet tall. It took a couple of tries to get it lit but that was because you have to blow a lot harder than I first thought to get the fire started. Otherwise as nice as I expected it to be. Easy to hold in my mouth even without a veil. Just don't suck in, shredded paper makes a real nasty tasting smoke. Anyone have a fuel for the smoker with a decent smell to it?
One real nice thing about this smoker is it is very simple to light once you figure out to blow as hard as you can at first. After that I was more likely to get it smoking to much.

#49 ·
... Anyone have a fuel for the smoker with a decent smell to it?...
"When in Rome do as the Romans do." I understand that the Saxons use dry tobacco stalks that remain behind on the farm after the leaves have been cured, stripped and sold. That would make a German beekeepers Pfeife (pipe) a true multi-tasker, bon-appetite. :D

#48 ·
I'll give it a shot and let you know. Sage is about all there is growing around here so coming up with some is about a difficult as finding in weeds in most places. Tough plant though so cutting will be some work you can't just grab it and snap it off like other bushes or plants. I was just reading another thread on smoker fuel and was thinking about some sort of wood (possibly sage) wrapped up in pieces of cotton or burlap. Making it into little rolls that fit into the pipe.

#50 ·
Actually tobacco plant stalks are one thing I do have. I just have to dig them out of the compost pile. I grow my own tobacco. I was saying something to my wife earlier about how I wish I had the room to grow some extra tobacco and I would just stuff it with tobacco leaf. Don't have to stop for smoke breaks that way either.

#53 ·
Ace I got it stoked up pretty good. actually started wondering if you could melt the pipe and had smoke just bellowing out of the thing. but any heat was from my breath and not the smoke. Otherwise when you have it going reasonably well it is a very fine misty smoke. I had a bit of a learning curve in how often to blow and it does not take that much at all to keep it going. I had to run int the house for something and left the pipe setting out in the cold for over 5 minutes. came back and it was still going just fine. So I intentionally set it aside for a half hour and it still started right up when I blew in it again. What I like about it is that it is always right there. you don't have to reach for the smoker while you are working. just blow. The hardest thing for me is to not suck on it. I do smoke a tobacco pipe from time to time and I will start drawing on it if my mind is on something else. Not a big deal it just tastes nasty. maybe if I start using tobacco stalks for fuel I wont mind so much. one puff for the bees one puff for me, ah two puffs for me...

Just found a place yesterday that I will be able to grow over 1600 tobacco plants this year. it has sort of sent me into overdrive on planning for this year. I was expecting to grow 260. If we do grow that much it should be a 3 year supply of tobacco for 4 people. And tons of stalks.

#54 ·
I would not use tobacco, since nicotine is toxic to bees. The plant actually uses it when the flower is pollinated to keep bees away from it. For some reason I thought the German pipe has a one way valve in it so you cannot suck on it. I may have to go to the German website and check on it. At least I can read German since I grew up there.

#56 ·
There is a one way ball valve inside that is supposed to stop any smoke from being sucked in. I still haven't tried mine yet but I will soon enough. I'm selling the extra ones I have for $70 + $11 shipping (USPS flate rate box). This covers the costs of the pipe and corkmantel, shipping to my friend in Germany, shipping to me, currency conversion fees to euros, and I gave my friend a tip for helping me. A traditional smoker with bellows is quite a bit cheaper but I know of no one in the states selling these pipes.

#57 ·
Just checked with someone in Germany, and read a couple of German sites. The Imkerpfeife comes in various versions. With and without ball valve. The valve prevents you from sucking the smoke into your mouth. They also sell products called Pfeifentabak. Tabak means tobacco. They do not use real tobacco, because it is toxic to bees. It is some herbal mix. Most beekeepers simply use dried grass or wood shavings and do not buy these products. It's more cost effective to just use dried grass.

#58 ·
I found the ball and it is designed to be in place with gravity. it still is not stopping all reverse air flow though. Forager it is under the knurled button just as the stem enters the pipe body. unscrew that and there is a plastic ball setting in there. makes it accessible for cleaning. Maybe it takes a little build up of gunk to seal up air tight.

#61 ·
Whoa Man, went to work the bees and we all got the munchies. ate the whole hive full of honey man. now the bees came in to chill and we are working on the oreos. Only problem is they got ahold of the remote to the T.V. and keep turning it to the nature channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.