Default How long to bees live?

How long do bees live? How long will the queen live? If I re-queen an aggressive hive, how long does it take to "breed out" the aggressiveness?

Default Re: How long to bees live?

Like many things, it "depends." One of the key factors is how much flying the worker bees can do. In the winter, when bees fly much less than summer, they may live 4 months or so. When they are more active, worker bees may live 4-6 weeks or so.

Drones likely die if they get kicked out of the hive in preparation for winter. Queens have reportedly lived as long as 4-7 years, but most probably do not. Part of the answer to how long queens live depends on the beekeeper's re-queening schedule, if there is one.

I generally prefer to provide a link to back up statements like I made above, and Michael Bush's website is usually my first source. While I can't find a MB page that addresses your specific question, you may find this page useful:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbasics.htm

As you get time over the winter, I suggest reading all of Mr. Bush's beekeeping pages.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

i have read that it is harder to requeen really aggressive bees. seems like i remember the recommendation being to split the colony up into several smaller nucs first, and requeen each one.

i had a five frame nuc that was too aggressive for me this spring. i split it in half and got two new queens.

they were much easier to deal with after the splitting and requeening.

to your question, the first new bees hatch out three weeks after requeening, and there should be a gradual transition from the old bees to the new ones after that.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Like many things, it "depends." One of the key factors is how much flying the worker bees can do. In the winter, when bees fly much less than summer, they may live 4 months or so. When they are more active, worker bees may live 4-6 weeks or so.

Drones likely die if they get kicked out of the hive in preparation for winter. Queens have reportedly lived as long as 4-7 years, but most probably do not. Part of the answer to how long queens live depends on the beekeeper's re-queening schedule, if there is one.

I generally prefer to provide a link to back up statements like I made above, and Michael Bush's website is usually my first source. While I can't find a MB page that addresses your specific question, you may find this page useful:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbasics.htm

As you get time over the winter, I suggest reading all of Mr. Bush's beekeeping pages.
    I will look at the this. Thank you.

Look at his web site study his writings or buy the book. Then follow his post on this site u will glean alot of knowlege from him and others on this site.