Default what time of day is the best time to inspect the bee hive

Fellow Beekeepers:

I do not have anything on a hard time schedule tomorrow, and I want to inspect my three hives. Tomorrow's weather will be clear skies with temperatures from an early morning low of 50 degrees F. to a high of 72 degrees F. What time of day would bother them the least.

As an aside, our white brush, also called bee brush, is in full bloom and the girls are on it. I sat in a grove of white brush earlier today and there was a constant hum from the many bees on it. I could easily see a dozen bees at any given time. It was fun watch and listen. Also, bee brush smell Heavenly.

Thanks for your input on this matter.

Lazy

Default Re: what time of day is the best time to inspect the bee hive

If it were me at those temps, I would choose mid day. Foragers will be out, you wont have as many to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by arcowandbeegirl View Post
    If it were me at those temps, I would choose mid day. Foragers will be out, you wont have as many to contend with.
    Thanks Gal:

Mid day works well for me. Your name sounds like mine (Arkansas cow and bee girl). I'm a txcowandgeeguy. Yep, cows and bees. Thanks again, Lazy

Don't inspect in the early morning when it is cold and partially dark. It makes them very angry

I think anytime that it is warm, sunny and the bees are active is a good time to inspect.

Back in July, August, and September, I was trying to get into my top bar hives before 10am in the morning. The foragers were
    leaving out before 630 a.m. This was because I was getting honeycomb collapses if I opened the hives in the 100+heat of the day.
    Now I'm waiting for it to "warm up" in the afternoon. So, my times are temperature dependant.
    The bees haven't had a change in temper though. Sweet bees as usual. morning or afternoon.
    I do wait for the foragers to get going though.

2 pm...

Thanks to everyone. As an add-on, how do you look for the queen. I have extreme difficulty finding a queen, and I have good vision and am somewhat noted as a hunter and shooter. But, I only find a queen about one-third of the time. There must be something I don't know (wow, as a first year beekeeper that is an under statement). Anyway, looking for a tip.

She will most likely be on brood frames with eggs. Start scanning those frames in a circular motion working from the outside in covering the entire frame slowly and methodically. It's important that you relax and have confidence that you'll find her. It's been very helpful for me to practice often. If the weather is good, I look for the queen every other hive inspection. Most of the time I find them but there are days where I've just taken to long and have to close it up without seeing her. I'm much better now than I was before with a little practice.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Well, it's easy to find a Queen in San Francisco.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    Well, it's easy to find a Queen in San Francisco.
    Would it be easy to find a "productive queen?" I haven't been to San Francisco in 10 years, but I will agree that even then it was easy to find a queen.

They are not good breeders.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa