Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gene Weitzel

Default Re: Gene Weitzel

Quote Originally Posted by mythomane View Post
    An order/refund still not delivered since January is hard to reconcile at this point. The drought has hit Texas pretty hard without much let-up in sight.
    I'm reading this from a distance....it seems that he makes a fair product but may lacks business skills?
    A friend of mine told me that in business you need to find the work /customers, be able to deliver and make sure that you get paid. Very rarely does one person have all the skills. I'm sure that there are adult education classes where our friend could skill up and become again an valuable contributor to the industry.Good luck to all involved

I dealt with his son Brent last year for my first two hives and went out to their place personally and met the whole family. They seemed to be pretty nice, well meaning folks but they are by no means a professional operation. As far as I could tell beekeeping is a 2nd job to them and have well over 300 hives. My experience with them was almost very similar to yours as I didn't get my hives until June or July if memory serves(ordered in January) and at times they were difficult to get ahold of for a status update. I think they are in the biz because they really need the money so they take as many orders as they can get and push themselves beyond they're ability. Add that to the year Texas has had for rain and I'll bet they've nearly broke themselves trying to keep their hives alive much less produce anything.

Bottom line, well meaning folks that push themselves past their ability. My gut tells me if you keep after them you'll eventually get your refund but if you wait for them to call you will never hear anything.

sorry to hear about your troubles.

Leo

I haven't been around a computer for a while, but I wanted to stay up to date with updates. So, for anyone paying attention, I did receive a check last week for about 1/3 of what Gene owes me, with the remainder owed noted on it. He also gave me a follow-up call to make sure it got to me. I do feel, now, that he's making a concerted effort to get me my money back. It's not all of it, but at least it's a start.

It took a while, but Gene was true to his word and I received a check in the mail last Friday which was repayment in full.

I certainly do appreciate everyone's help who gave me suggestions & advice, contact info, etc... throughout this. I really do wish Gene the best and I hope he's able to supply folks with woodenware again (but only take orders that are within his means to fill). In the mean time, happy beekeeping everybody.

A decent ending. Thanks for letting us know the outcome, Erik.

Ed

You ordered last January and received your refund last week. That is 15 months. Glad you got your money back. You were lucky. Lesson to all young beekeepers : Do not pay in advance. Show up with cash if you can and pay for what you see. Many suppliers over-extend themselves and leave others holding the bag. Expect the worst and prepare accordingly. If the deal you agreed upon months ago does not look right, just walk away. If you have to wait another season, so be it. There is a lot of weak stock and shallow deals out there being pawned off on the uninitiated. Paying your dues is one thing; being taken advantage of is another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12