Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Texas Ag Exemption

Nope. And the Assessor just said "forage". It was my choice. I am surrounded by many hard-working, upright, decent, good ranchers of Czech and German descent. And they are TIDY! Unfortunately, "tidy" often equals "no weeds in the pasture!" Of course, the "weeds" are wild flowers.

And it's interesting. I speak in classrooms, 4-H, Chamber of Commerce/Ag meetings, etc. I'm often asked "What about wild sweet clover?" I challenge them to go LOOK for wild sweet clover. They come back later and say, "You're right, it's all gone!" with amazment.

Years and years of spraying fence lines, mowing ditches before clover goes to seed, and spraying any and all bees, just in case "they're them killer bees" have reduced the forage and feral hives. And it went away so gradually, folks didn't notice. But they are starting to realize there aren't always bees pollinating their gardens.

I think my Assessor was just ahead of the curve, and I'm glad he told me to plant forage. Planting many of those forage items and rye grass is better for the soil than Coastal Bermuda, Bahia, Tifton, etc. I do my part to educate people that sometimes the old fashioned way their grand dads did things might still have value, and slowly, it's making a difference.

As for wildlife . . . I am besieged by deer, hogs, and gophers. I deserve a {deleted} exemption! LOL.

summer

Summer1052:

Like you, I am trying to return my ranch to yesterday year. I don't have any improved grasses on my place. I fallow plow each spring, as out local County Agent told me this would bring back the native grasses and weeds. According to his research, if you turn up the soil and let the sun warm the deeper into the ground, seeds that are decades old will germinate. Over the past five years, I have seen this work. Most of my fields contain a lot of native sunflowers, weeds and wild flowers.

I too, am besieged with deer, hogs and coons.

I rotate my cattle from pasture to pasture and try to emulate what the passing buffalo herds did to our land. I have no proof that it is working, but it makes me feel better.

lazy

I only own 1/3 of an acre, but I'm thinking of doing a moonlight sprinkle of wildflower seeds on the vacant acreage around me, at least the seeds I can spare. Nothing but some kind of grass that looks like bermuda but spreads widely above ground, it's an annual, untidy, needs mowed heavily in the fall when it goes to seed, I guess I should find out what that grass species is.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeper_sd View Post
    We were told we would have to have used the property in TX as ag property, including bees, for 5 years before we can claim ag exemption.
    Washington is 3 and it is $200 of income (gross) per acre you want ag for those years and prove it. But, the kicker is when you sell it needs to stay ag or pay 7 years plus interest and penalty back. My property is hilly so Bee's is one of the only things I could do with it. And they come out and check. She came out in July when all my bee's were in Raspberries and is coming back on Thursday to see if I am really still using it that way. They are sleeping now of course but they are home.

What would be nice is a 5$ fed credit per hive you have kind of thing. Anyone have any ideas how to get the fed to cut us some slack for helping the food industry?

Ohh this is something I am trying to get done also. I have been back and forth with the tax office in Parker county. Wish me luck
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Good luck guys. Once you get something be happy because its hard to get...like I said in some previous posts just play the game and you should come out ok.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Folks,

I just ran across this - the Texas Apiary Inspector (Paul Jackson) with Texas A&M has some specific instructions in his August 2011 newsletter on what to present to your county tax office for getting an ag. exemption.

The newsletters are here: (then select Aug. 2011)

Rex "Hawk" Smith

http://tais.tamu.edu/newsletter/

I have to buy more land to think about ag exemption. 1/3 of an acre in Fort Worth city limits, half of it purely agricultural (well except for the 10 ft wide strip that holds my rock trailer and a shed), but they are so not going to grant an ag exemption on 1/6th of an acre. And it would be worth at least $30 for all that paperwork!
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Yep Gypsi,
    In Parker county (next door to Fort Worth) they do not like to ag anything less than 10 acres, but if your willing to fight with them you can get 5 acres ag exempt.
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Hawk, thanks for that link! That's good info. Like I said, since it's a county by county thing, I suspect part of the problem some have is assessors not having any guidelines. And yes, Jase, it's 10 acres here, too. Lazy, this land was cotton before it was pasture, so I don't know if anything would come up or not. But the vetch does well, and the rye grass helps choke out the undesirables like nut sedge and Johnson grass and Dalis grass that will take over if given half a chance.

Of course, the way the drought has been this year, we're lucky to have anything grow at all. Trees are starting to die in large numbers. Even Live Oaks and Cedar. Mercy me!

Summer