Default Dry sugar in Division Board feeder?

Has anyone done this? What were the results?

Default Re: Dry sugar in Division Board feeder?

Do it on all my hives that i have to winter over. I do it when the weather doesnt warm up over 50 degrees F. and still need to feed them, and the bees quit taking liquid feed.

You have to scroll down a bit.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Will dry sugar work to keep nucs alive through the winter?

Adam

I over wintered one year with a feeder frame of dry sugar in the hives.
    8 out of 10 hives made it thru fine.
    They did not eat any of the sugar, but it acted as a dessicant and greatly helped in removing moisture out of the air inside the hive. In the spring when I removed them, the sugar was hard as a rock as it had absorbed then dried out, but it was still granulated, not turned into a solid mass of smooth rock sugar.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I prefer a layer of newspaper on top right over where the cluster is going to end up in Feb. Leave a gap around the outside of the paper for ventilation and ventilation on top. Paper and sugar will absorb moisture and turn into rock candy. Bees will work they way up into it late winter if needed. Winters may be warmer where you are and the cluster can break and get to the division board feeeder.

I am in central VA and we get a few days warm enough to break cluster once a month or so, but i can see where the sugar in the division board feeders wouldn't work too well for a starving hive.

I either use fondant (from Lentz Milling http://www.lentzmilling.com/ ) on the top bars or have used dry sugar on newspaper with great results. Or for a few hives the marshmallow fondant recipe i have on my blog back in december of last year http://buffalobeefarm.blogspot.com/2...w-fondant.html

The idea is to have the "dry" feed where the bees IN CLUSTER can get to it as they would if they had stored honey in comb. So as the cluster rises in winter eating honey and cant break cluster on cold days, IF the reach the top before nectar and warm temps they have something to sustain them.

If i put anything in my division board feeders during the winter it would be water for them to use to dissolve the sugar/fondant/or crystallized honey. See Dennis Murrells website for info on this idea...