Results 1 to 9 of 9

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    107

    Default Can I relocate bees 0.8 mile 5/6 days after swarm

    Spring DownUnder. Got a call last night for some bees, swarm had been on the side of the house for 5 days, had started building comb on outside of house and was entering wall, I knocked them into a hive with some frames and a couple of top bars, thought the queen was in the wall, still not sure if she is or not.
    Today they have started daisy chaining/ festooning on one top bar as well as joining the broken comb on the base of the hive to the other frames.
    Sstill some coming and going from the wall, doesn't seem to be much activity going in and out of the hive, so possibly just using the nectar and wax from the comb they built the last few days that I knocked in to make new stuff within the hive. Thought I would try to relocate the hive tonight, but only 0.8 miles.
    What are my chances, a few pine needles at the entrance in the morning?
    If the queen is still in the wall I know I have no chance?
    Edit:
    Have just been back and upset them, pulled out the comb from the bottom of the hive that was laying over (and now joined to the other frames) to try to make it easier to get at them later. Yes I probably shouldn't have, more bees now going back to the hole in the house, I suppose I will have to play a waiting game for a few days and see what they do.
    Last edited by 100 td; 10-24-2011 at 11:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: Can I relocate bees 0.8 mile 5/6 days after swarm

    If they're going back to the hole in the house, the queen most likely is in there. You'll have to do a cutout to get her and the rest of them out. This involves cutting through siding or roofing structures to get at them. It can be a very complicated project depending upon where exactly the bees are in a particular structure. If you don't know how to do it then I would look at a local bee club for help. Most clubs usually have a couple of beekeepers who do cutouts.

    I would be happy to do it for you if you paid all transportation cost!!!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Can I relocate bees 0.8 mile 5/6 days after swarm

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I would be happy to do it for you if you paid all transportation cost!!!
    Mmmmm, thanks for the offer!

    I think, (I mean hope), the queen is actually in the hive, will have to wait a few days to find out I guess.
    The wall is brick so a cone trap would be the only way but I don't have and eggs/brood so will just have to sit and watch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    4,064

    Default Re: Can I relocate bees 0.8 mile 5/6 days after swarm

    I would put on the cone trap and leave the box the bees are in right below it. Maybe you do have her, who knows. If you do you will get them all. If you don't, you need to find a queen for them

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chatsworth, Ga
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Can I relocate bees 0.8 mile 5/6 days after swarm

    100td,
    If you have bees in the box and the wall too, they are moving their stores to the box. My experence tells me the box would be empty if she was not there.
    GOOD LUCK.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Can I relocate bees 0.8 mile 5/6 days after swarm

    Queen must be in hive, only a very small swarm, probably 2 fistfuls or so, no more bees on the wall, (swarm had only been there for 5 days) have closed up the entrance very small (1 inch) but I think robbers are coming and going. I noticed drones going in while I was there today, I guess they are robbing as well.
    I will have to move the hive or it will be robbed dry, maybe build a screen for the entrance.
    They are building a bit of comb in between two frames of foundation, but I will have to live with that or I will loose them all. I would prefer to leave them in place for a few weeks, they owner wants them out but may be able to some more time.
    What do you think about a move of 0.8 mile, they will probably go back?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads