Hybrid View

Default Warré Woodworking

Here is my Warré Hive so far. Built as close to the plans as I can. The top box is made from cedar and the bottom box is made from pine. All boards are 1" thick nominal, All things being equal I like building with Cedar better. But alas they are not equal. I can build three pine boxes for the price of one cedar. The screws are plated roberts drive screws which I am fond of for boatbuilding. The glue I use is Titebond II. It is cheap and waterproof. Screw heads will be filled with a mixture of Titebond II and sawdust.
    Last edited by Beeophyte; 10-24-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Default Re: Warré Woodworking

Looking great!

Thanks Cacklewack, from you that is high praise indeed. Any suggestions on making top bars? I want to avoid wax as I have read that most beeswax these days is loaded with treatments. Ideally I want to go treatment free.

I suggest cutting kerfs into your bars and gluing in single popsicle sticks into each of them. No need for wax of any sort. Or we do have many folks building their own Warres buy bars from us, as they are the most tedious/difficult/dangerous part to make.

Best,
    Matt

When making my Warre Hive and thinking about the top bars, I decided to use standard Lang frames, reduced in length of the top bar by cutting a section out of the middle and doweling the two pieces back together, leaving reduced side bars on to prevent comb attaching to the sides of the hive and no bottom bar. Put in a small popsicle started strip well waxed. Worked a treat.

I didnt use any wax, just the bars and they worked fine. I would suggest that you use the 1/2 frame idea where you run a bar down the side of the top bar.
    http://warre.biobees.com/denis.htm
    shows what I am talking about. this way you could inspect your hive if required. I will be doing this to my boxes that I add to my hive for the spring.

Thanks for the top bar tips!

Sorry made the post twice.
    Last edited by Beeophyte; 10-25-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Deleted Duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Beeophyte View Post
    The glue I use is Titebond II. It is cheap and waterproof.
    I'm curious to know if you did anything to the cedar before applying the glue? I'm hearing various reports of titebond not working on cedar unless you sand or wipe it with acetone first.

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeping.IsGood.ca View Post
    I'm curious to know if you did anything to the cedar before applying the glue? I'm hearing various reports of titebond not working on cedar unless you sand or wipe it with acetone first.
    I can't say if you should pretreate with acetone first or not. I can say I didn't know about that or bother with it. I usually sand things before I glue them. Otherwise I just glued and screwed.

The boxes are fine. They've been sitting outside for a year completely bare (unpainted). They've come through a wind, rain, snow, and direct sun.

No problems whatsoever.

I just glued and screwed also. Seems to be holding up well. Since you don't inspect the hive often, there's not much stress on the joints.

I have never had a problem (and I do a lot of gluing). I think that acetone will chase your bees away. Cedar is really porous so you have to be careful to use enough glue. I normally apply glue to both pieces and let them sit for a bit

I've heard if you wet wood (dampen it not soak) before you glue the glue will not go in too deep and will make a better joint. I believe this came from Norm Abram (This Old House fame).