Thread: As requested

Default As requested

Since this batch doesn't have a lesson in it I figured it belonged here instead..

It was requested of me to Photograph the Sunkist Cordovan I order for my Dad as a gift.. so here she is with quite a few other images. I apologize for any quality of image issues as I had to watermark... It's sad that artists have to do this now a days just because someone doesn't want to ask permission are compensate the artist for the work they do..

The first sets were great, we had a nice golden hour sun so there were a lot less focusing issues with the Macro lens and I didn't need to break out my Flash either.. It's rare..

IMG_9940 by Naymond, on Flickr

Here she is with the Workers trapped out from a feral hive plus a few of her own brood.. you can DEFINITELY see the difference as hers is much lighter...

IMG_9950 by Naymond, on Flickr

and we get closer...

IMG_9958 by Naymond, on Flickr

And here is the ladies close-up...

IMG_9967 by Naymond, on Flickr

I will be putting these in several posts on this thread..

Default Re: As requested

IMG_9968 by Naymond, on Flickr

Any closer and we will be seeing Bee Boogers..

IMG_9953 by Naymond, on Flickr

This is by far my favorite shot... I call this one "The Twins".. yes yes I know this isn't the case and the are only about 75% related... but as an artist I have to take my science brain off in order to name my works some times..

IMG_9981 by Naymond, on Flickr

Just a nice shot of bee's and comb..

IMG_9959 by Naymond, on Flickr

a lone worker on comb..

IMG_9998 by Naymond, on Flickr

Ahhh and here is the comparison... This is a queen from a local feral swarm..

IMG_9909 by Naymond, on Flickr

and the greatest benefit to being a photographer is you are always the one BEHIND the camera and not in the lens.. ahahaha.. I like this one of pops in his hat and veil..

I hope everyone enjoys the images.. it's fun to have two hobbies cross like that..

Nice.

Yeah, twins isn't quite the right word when all 40,000 or so females have the same Mother. But, it'll do. Up at the top of my list of favorites of this batch of photos too.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Wonderful Photos. I do my share of macro photography so I am a little extra impressed. The shots are worth steeling. Take that as a complement. It is obvious to me you have spent a lot of time behind the camera. Detail is much better than most photos I see which is very helpful to new guys like myself. I had to pause at the Twins the first emerging shot and the close up of the queen with some of her attendants. You got that captivating edge in those three.

Nice images! Is the vignetting that we see straight out of the camera or is it done in PP? What lens are you using?
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Very nice work
    Those twins are special
    I would imagine all the brothers up your way are long gone
    I saw a few on the ground by my backyard hive the other day
    Winter is on its way
    Thanks for taking the time to post those

Tommyt

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Wonderful Photos. I do my share of macro photography so I am a little extra impressed. The shots are worth steeling. Take that as a complement. It is obvious to me you have spent a lot of time behind the camera. Detail is much better than most photos I see which is very helpful to new guys like myself. I had to pause at the Twins the first emerging shot and the close up of the queen with some of her attendants. You got that captivating edge in those three.
    Believe me when another photographer gives me a compliment I take is seriously.. We are the most critical of works especially when it comes to framing and creating a shot.

I do take snatching works as a compliment but when I find one being used and I talk to me about it the "I didn't know" answer just jabs at me. Heheheh my favorite professor said it best..."it's better to ask permission than forgiveness because the only response you get usually seems to insult your intelligence."

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Nice images! Is the vignetting that we see straight out of the camera or is it done in PP? What lens are you using?
    Thank you.. I used a canon 100mm macro lens with a flip 50 on the end. The vignetting is done by the 50.. Granted I have to crop it a little on some pictures because the vignetting is very dark on the edges. I generally limit my post processing if I can help it.. Mostly cropping and white balance from a data cube. I kind of miss film photography but these days it just costs too much in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    Very nice work
    Those twins are special
    I would imagine all the brothers up your way are long gone
    I saw a few on the ground by my backyard hive the other day
    Winter is on its way
    Thanks for taking the time to post those

Tommyt
    Oh yea it is.. We noticed that all the queens were on a break too... I wanted to get some images of some larva.. Eggs.. All that good stuff..

Daniel Y

Would you believe that I had my camera set up on the tripod with a trigger and angle viewer and was holing the frames by hand while shooting these... Talk about having to "hold still".. With the plane so thin hand holding anything while doing macro becomes a chore while trying to keep everything in focus..heheheh

Now I understand what it takes - equipment wise - to get a decent bee pic, and I understand why tweaking my inexpensive underwater digital is not doing the job. Beautiful pics! (from one who has tried, and failed. But my fish photos aren't TOO bad.)

Gypsi
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Naymond Rae View Post
    Thank you.. I used a canon 100mm macro lens with a flip 50 on the end. The vignetting is done by the 50.. Granted I have to crop it a little on some pictures because the vignetting is very dark on the edges. I generally limit my post processing if I can help it.. Mostly cropping and white balance from a data cube. I kind of miss film photography but these days it just costs too much in the end.
    Very impressive shots. Trying to figure out what macro lens I want. Hopefully mine will turn out half as good as yours
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Very impressive shots. Trying to figure out what macro lens I want. Hopefully mine will turn out half as good as yours
    Canon mpe is the best by far for 1:5 magnification without having to use a flip 50 rig.. I would love to have one but my wife said I would have to get rid of one of my othe macro lenses befor I can add yet another to the collection.. HahHah.. If you have Nikon they have good ones too just not as much magnification in one lens.

I like shooting macro of the bees... Good way to look for mites and such..

your pictures are all so wonderful what type of lighting do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Naymond Rae View Post
    Canon mpe is the best by far for 1:5 magnification without having to use a flip 50 rig.. I would love to have one but my wife said I would have to get rid of one of my othe macro lenses befor I can add yet another to the collection.. HahHah.. If you have Nikon they have good ones too just not as much magnification in one lens.

I like shooting macro of the bees... Good way to look for mites and such..
    I have a severe case of 'need more lenses-itus'. We just bought a 100-400L and now I have the itch for a macro.
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Quote Originally Posted by beeG View Post
    your pictures are all so wonderful what type of lighting do you use?
    Actually all natural sunlight around golden hour with my cameras white balance set warm from a data cube... I love using sunlight as opposed to flash or lights

I have a severe case of 'need more lenses-itus'. We just bought a 100-400L and now I have the itch for a macro.
    Ooh yea. I suffer from LAD too.. You will love that 100-400L.. Great for nature.. Even feral hives that you want to photograph and don't want to go near it or can't.

BTW LAD is Lens Acquisition Disorder... Heheheh I also suffer from SRAD (Straight Razor acquisition Disorder) and soon to be HBAD (Honey Bee Acquisition Disorder) Gotta love obsessions..
    Last edited by Naymond Rae; 10-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.