Thread: package bees

Default package bees

I am located in south carolina and am looking for a reliable source for packaged bees for the spring 2012. Looking for someone in a neighboring state perhaps georgia. Any help would be appriciated. thanks

Default Re: package bees

I got my package from H&L Bee Farm in georgia. I only have one hive, but my package has done really well so far. I did have to treat for mites in Sept but I cannot blame them on the supplier. The queen has done exceptionally well even after a dose of MAQS. I do plan on ordering another package in the spring and will be using H&L. I have no affiliate with them just have been really impressed with their customer service. Mrs. Brenda has always been helpful over the phone when I call with questions.

I have had pretty good luck from ordering from Kelly's in Kentucky

Wilbanks in Claxton ga, and Rossman in Moultrie both have good bees. I've had them from both and they performed well. Claxton is closer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
    I am ...in south carolina and am looking for a reliable source for packaged bees...
    I don't think you can beat Rossman's bees, they work like illegal aliens and are gentle. I have not had any experiance with H & L Bee Farm or Wilbanks but I bet they have good bees also. Kellys' bees are good bees but I suspect that they raise them some where well south of Kentucky or resell other peoples' bees. As long as they sell good bees what does it matter?

You could save $50 or so in shipping costs and reduce stress on your bees by picking up your own packages. Yes I know 50 bucks won't buy very much gasoline anymore. If you are able to get several other beekeepers to pay you oh say 50 cents on the dollar of shipping cost to pick up their orders for them, you may even make a few bucks. Or you could ride with another beekeeper and split the driving.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Default Re: package bees for sale in South Carolina

We have Italian (3#) package bees for sale . Available for pickup here in the Greenville / Spartanburg South Carolina area. Our first pickup date is Friday 4/6/2012.

These packages are out of Georgia from H&R. if your interested in reserving packages feel free to call us, or check out our website www.doverhoneyfarm.com

Kelley packages are produced in Louisiana and have been for as long as I can remember.

DarJones
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

chuck kutic is in manning and sells 5 frame nucs. probably would be better for ya. he has a web site.

Hi ThomasJ, I grew up in Hartsville, my aunt lives in Florence and my cousins have an upolstry shop there. I am sure we know some of the same people. I will be moving back that way soon my dad and one of my brothers still live there. I don't know of any that are right close to you My friends have a farm in hartsville, and there is a guy in that area that sells them and put some of his on thier land I will ask them next time I see them. There is a good guy close to Ashville N.C. Orr bee supply. I bought my hives and bees from him last year. You can get A hive assembled and painted with a package of bees for $153.00, or a complete starter kit with a package of bees for $225 it has a smoker hive tool etc. Has a bee suit with it but it is tyvek, works good but you don't want it you will loose about five pounds in sweat in five minutes. I sold my suit on ebay for $30.00. Great guy to deal with.

Mark Berninghausen (SQTCRK) is down there in Conway at least till spring. If you talk nice to him he might sell you a few nucs. Lynn Barton breeds the queens for Chuck Kutiks Nucs - and his queens are nice. Chucks is a pretty major operation and don't know if he'd sell just a few... he makes up 1000's... but you never know.