Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How much to sell home produced honey for by the oz??

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    All prices I have seen are by the pound. but that can be broken down to the ounce.
    You must have missed seeing some of the most common sized containers, the 8 oz jar and the 12 oz Squeeze Bear. Labels are suppsoed to feature lbs as well as ozs. such as 1Lb (16 oz).
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Ohio wants the weight in grams too. 1 lb= 454g
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

I have no advice on price, but my customers really like the squeeze PET jars that come from Sailor Plastics with the no-drip cap. Glass is heavy, doesn't bounce, and I have no plans to ever buy mason jars again.

In Southern Oregon we sell our honey for $4.00 for half pound, 8 for a pound and 12 for 2 pound. for a quart of honey it's $17. We have ours in a gourmet grocery store and at a growers stand plus we sell out of our home. nobody has ever balked at the price and frankly if they did they could go elsewhere. our honey is beautiful and worth the price. It's filtered but just through a double sieve, not heated unless it gets chrystally then we put it in our car for a couple hours to warm it that way. My aunt and uncle pay 15 per pound in Sebastopal california and they are ok with that. they were over the moon to get ours for $12 for 2lb's. Don't undercut your fellow beeks, it's just frowned upon.

You sold honey to family???
    I didnt think that the Beck clan did that!!!
    Hehehe!

You can buy it all day long in SC for $8.00 per quart. At a farmers market that charges $25.00 a table, for four hours. Person pays $25 dollars for a table, $6 for gas to get there and back, spends 5 hours of their time at $10 per hour that is $81 dollars spent. You have to sell at least 8 jars to break even. There will be 12 other people selling at the same market. I had rather let the bees keep it and sell the bees. Eight dollars a quart is $2.66 per pound there are commercial beekeepers on this forum that will sell you barrels of honey for that price and be glad to get it. If I could get $8.00 per pound I would work bees 24 hours a day. A well managed hive will make 50 pounds of honey anywhere in the US, that is $400 per hive. Thousand hives $400,000 dollars, maybe I need to move.
    Last edited by scdw43; 05-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Wow! I am amazed at the pricing differences u guys are quoting. In Mississippi, the average price runs $10 per pound, and that is what I make my base price on. I figure in the cost of jars, etc. and set the price on individual sizes accordingly. Our local CoOp has honey from a couple of local beeks that runs in the $15 to $20 per pound after their mark up. A lot of my customers complain about that price and are happy to pay only $10 per pound. If I could get pure raw honey from a beek for $5 per pound, I would have to jump on that and turn around and resell it. And this is coming from "the poorest state in the nation".

I try and keep the price reasonable, but the price gets cheaper the larger the purchase. I carry 6, 12, and 24 oz squeezable bears for $3, $5, and $8 respectably. I will sell a quart in a glass jar for $15 (3lb). I normally don't sell larger than that, but I may sell gallons this year for $40. I sell at the local farmers market and also out of the house. You would be suprised how much you can sell locally with Facebook and such. I will never be desperate enough to undercut the price, cause you can always carry it over from year to year.

Ok, stupid question... Why not reuse food jars? I have yet to sell any honey but recycling glass jars seemed logical to me.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

It's done all the time. Folks use all sorts of previously used jars and bottles. Wine bottles, whiskey bottles, babyfood jars, mayonaisse jars, peanut butter jars, etc. Peanut butter jars, the big plastic ones, are the same jar as 5lb plastic honey jars.

I can imagine a Farm Market display table w/ lots of different jars of honey, each properly labeled, would look quite quaint and attractive. Go for it.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12