Hybrid View

Default How much to sell home produced honey for by the oz??

I plan to sell a few jars of honey to some people I work with. Doing this for the 1st time. I went to Office Depot and got a small bound hand fille in the blank reciept booklet. I want to try to be all legal about this. Selling in various sizes glass jars other things came in and putting the honey in after santizizing, well nevermind all that unnecessary discribing. I'll cut to the chase.
    I'm going to sell it by the ounce and I have been trying to get a close enough idea how much money per ounce to sell it by. I know price is not etched in stone, but what is it typically going for roughly?
    Then, is home produced honey typically sold by liquid ounce or by weight ounce? Or are they one and the same?
    Am I doing this right by takeing a piticular jar of not knowing what size it is, and filling it with water then pouring it into a liquid measuring cup and determinating the oz capicity of that jar by the markings on the measuring cup it fills it up to, and thel labeling how many ounces of honey will be in that jar by that?, Or do I need to use some scales and sell it by weight and not liquid volume? And thanks for any educational advice.
    LampBurner

Default Re: How much to sell home produced honey for by the oz??

Where to start, no most honey is priced/sold by the pound then the products are labeled in ounces. Honey is heavier than water. It just sounds like you are over thinking things. Choose a jar that you like, weigh one empty, fill and weigh again.

Yeah, what brac said. You can sell it by the lb for anywhere between $5 and $15 per lb depending on what the local economy will support.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Here in the ghettos of northwest Florida I get 4.00 per pint and 7.00 per quart.I quess that would be roughly
    22 1/2 cents per ounce.This is a known poverty pocket.

Thanks. I really don't even need to purchase any scales right now anyway. I work in produce at a supermarket. I think I can just use the hanging scales we have there to do my weighing, long as I don't do a bunch at one time.

All prices I have seen are by the pound. but that can be broken down to the ounce. Some of the highest prices I have seen are $15 to $16 a pound. Without going into to much detail how to get $16 a lb I will just say you have to market it to customers that will pay that. Selling honey at 22 cents an ounce is a lot less work than selling it at $1 an ounce. You can sell for more but you will work to earn it. Just where the balance point is for you will depend on what you have to do.

Some other issues that crossed my mind. Making a bottle of honey takes almost exactly the same amount of time regardless of the size of the bottle. Supers have to be removed, honey has to be extracted. bottles have to be ordered, received, cleaned and whatever other processing is necessary. honey has to be poured in to the bottled and they have to be capped. The only time factor involved is it may take a few more seconds to pour 16 oz of honey than it takes to pour 1. But I doubt it is by much. More care must be taken to pour a tiny 1 oz of honey sort of diluting that times savings.

Given all other labor is the same. How many repetitions of pouring and capping do you want to go through? Lets say you have 100 lbs of honey. do you want to pour and cap 100 jars or 1600 jars?

With that comparison in mind, realize that a 1oz jar costs you far more per oz than a 1 lb jar. You must sell it for more and still probably make less profit.

I would see a 1 oz jar as more of a promotional item than a sales item. Basically a sample of my honey rather than something to try and market. Advertising is expensive but usually worth it.

Lamp Burner, I am about 95 miles North of you in west central KY . When you said you said you want to sell by the oz I assume you were going to price by the oz. ok first of all honey is sold by weight not fluid oz. What was said about re-useing other food jar is right! that is a no no. I sell most of my honey in 1# honey jar jars and label cost about $.85 enough of that .

There no need to weight you jars if you buy you jars from a supplier or use Mason canning jars you will know the liquid oz. ok the pacific gravity of honey is 1.36 and water is 1 so you see honey is some what heaver than water or your liquid oz. what ever you fluid oz of the jar you are useing you would X the container oz by 1.36 that would = your honey weight. Example pint jar is 16 oz. 16X1.36=21.76= 22 oz honey; Qt jar 32 oz X 1.36 = 44 oz honey. This should help. Honey in my area sells for $.42 to $.50 a oz. makeing it $5.00 to $6.00 a pound. Your market may stand more than that.

Labeling is something else you have to have your product name ( Honey ) you name, address, phone # , weight in at least two amounts. I label my in oz and gr. that way it's not confuseing with lb. and oz. because 1# of honey is 12 oz. hope this helps and good luck.

Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by BeeMan_2010 View Post
    Honey in my area sells for $.42 to $.50 a oz. makeing it $5.00 to $6.00 a pound. Your market may stand more than that.
    Honey in central ky sold for $7 a pound with no problem at all!! So yeah the market can with stand alil more!

Wow! I am amazed at the pricing differences u guys are quoting. In Mississippi, the average price runs $10 per pound, and that is what I make my base price on. I figure in the cost of jars, etc. and set the price on individual sizes accordingly. Our local CoOp has honey from a couple of local beeks that runs in the $15 to $20 per pound after their mark up. A lot of my customers complain about that price and are happy to pay only $10 per pound. If I could get pure raw honey from a beek for $5 per pound, I would have to jump on that and turn around and resell it. And this is coming from "the poorest state in the nation".

I try and keep the price reasonable, but the price gets cheaper the larger the purchase. I carry 6, 12, and 24 oz squeezable bears for $3, $5, and $8 respectably. I will sell a quart in a glass jar for $15 (3lb). I normally don't sell larger than that, but I may sell gallons this year for $40. I sell at the local farmers market and also out of the house. You would be suprised how much you can sell locally with Facebook and such. I will never be desperate enough to undercut the price, cause you can always carry it over from year to year.