Default Hello from Central Texas

Hello fellow beekeepers. I am new to the craft this year, and live in mild-wintered Aiustin, Texas. I have one hive and my bees are doing very well despite the terrible drought. We have been feeding most of the year, and the girls have filled two deeps. We just stopped feeding, and I think I should have added a honey super earlier in the season to prevent them from becoming honey-bound. Both deeps are completely full except for the two outermost frames on both supers. I wonder if there is any danger of them swarming this late in the season. Should I add a honey super to keep them from feeling crowded?

Default Re: Hello from Central Texas

Welcome! Local beekeepers will have the best advice on when brood rearing slows/ceases, and when to stop adding supers for the year. Two deeps is enough for most of the country.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks for your reply. I am certain that two deeps is plenty for the bees to get through the winter. The real question I had was whether there is any danger of them swarming this late in the season since their boxes are almost completely full and there's still lots of flowers blooming. Should I add a honey super to keep them from feeling crowded?

Welcome to the site!

Welcome, This response is a little late from your post date, being honey bound can limit the number of young winter bees your hive can produce, if its still packed i would remove a few frames in the middle and give them some empty drawn comb for her to lay in.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!