View Poll Results: Are beetle traps treatments?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 29.41%
  • No

24 70.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Should Small Hive Beetle traps be considered treatments?

I, like Mark, do not consider my operation to be "treatment-free," so I did not vote. I would like to point out, however, that integrated pest management (IPM) is generally defined with categories of control methods: mechanical control, cultural control, chemical control, biological control. For the purposes of IPM, "manipulations" of a system for the purposes of effecting control over a pest is considered a "treatment."

If you follow strict IPM definitions, everything suggested is a "treatment."

If by "treatment-free," you mean "no chemical applications made," the method is open to debate.

Does not being "treatment-free" mean a person can't vote? The poll question is "Are beetle traps treatments?"...with no conditions presented. Between yours and Mark's vote (and maybe more) that would narrow the margins on the voting results. BTW, I agree with you on the terminology of "treatment-free" versus "no chemical applications made", better defined...well said.

is essential oil of thyme a "chemical"....what if it is synthetic rather than naturally derived?
    is grated onion a chemical?

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Does not being "treatment-free" mean a person can't vote?
    Never stopped anyone before. There's no way to moderate votes. Fortunately, there's few enough of them frequenting this forum so as not to be a big problem.

However if you go back and look in the archives, when we voted on the definitions for 'treatment-free' it was usually the admittedly conventional beekeepers who put forth the most attempts to obfuscate the issue. I am happy to include conventional beekeepers in these discussions, but it's dishonorable for persons who have no interest in subscription to the philosophy to attempt to shape it. If you are not treatment-free, I appreciate abstention from voting. I respect you for that.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Essential oil of thyme is a chemical. Grated onion would likely be a chemical control (unless you're adding it as an ingredient for a tasty new bee dish, I guess); if the intention for the grated onion is repelling a pest by using the aromatic chemical from the onion, it is a chemical control.

"Synthetic" versus "naturally-derived" gets to splitting hairs pretty finely, I think. Is pyrethrum a chemical treatment? Pyrethrum is naturally derived from a plant. A pyrethroid is a chemical synthesized by human activities, but is a chemical analog of pyrethrum. Why would one be a chemical and not the other?

Just for clarification as well, "naturally-derived" does not equate to "non-toxic to humans." Cyanide is naturally derived. Arsenic is naturally occurring. Uranium is natural. So is lead. All are natural and toxic.

Well by some of the definitions here I would say no. By some of the other definitions I would have to say using a smoker would be considered a treatment, or using foundation.
    Im really not that serious

It depends what the definition of a treatment is.

Are my bees treatment "free"?

I have chickens, ducks and guinea hens foraging and scratching around my beehives.

I don't consider it a treatment. Opinions vary. I cannot see how a trap could be considered treatment when the entire rest of the hive is not.

If you'll direct your attention to the Unique Forum Rules, you'll find them updated regarding this subject several weeks ago.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I'm not sure that I agree with the definitions posted in the Unique Forum Rules, but I'm glad to see "treatments" defined for the purposes of discussions in this section.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12