Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tick Repellant

Default Re: Tick Repellant

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    I wouldn't advocate off label use but would remind everyone that ticks can carry very dangerous diseases. One bite can change you life, it's not pretty.
    Weigh the options and choose carefully
    true but prolonged use of certain pesticides will also change your life. Lymes disease has a cure, damage from pestides that accumilate in your fatty cells has no cure. symptoms are about the same too. Along with personality changes and such. I know many of old time groomers that have been in dip too much that have major health issues along with very nasty tempers. I personaly stopped using pesticides 17 years ago.

LOL, guineas sure can cause a racket. All the time it seems.
    The tick bite area enlarged but didn't turn into the classic bullseye rash.
    I'm now on doxycycline for a few weeks as a precaution.
    Looked for powdered sulfur at the pharmacy but they never heard of it. Will keep looking.
    Forgot about skin so soft, that should work.

Quote Originally Posted by beeG View Post
    true but prolonged use of certain pesticides will also change your life. Lymes disease has a cure, damage from pestides that accumilate in your fatty cells has no cure. symptoms are about the same too. Along with personality changes and such. I know many of old time groomers that have been in dip too much that have major health issues along with very nasty tempers. I personaly stopped using pesticides 17 years ago.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002296/

I just asked for people to consider both sides of the issue.
    You don't use a proven heartworm treatment?
    The proper prudent use of pesticides has improved our lives.
    Blanket condemnation of pesticides is a bit foolish.
    It is easy give a pesticide free lecture from atop of your malaria or( insert a host of preventable maladies here) free horse.
    Careful consideration is required of all options.

I use pesticides with great caution these days, but I do use them.

When I was married, my husband was severely anti-organic, pro chemical, but I had to apply them. He told me what to do, I did it. (LOL what was I thinking) He wouldn't let me try nematodes on the chiggers that flooded our yard from May 1st until October of each year, so every couple of weeks I sprayed diazinon. Until I discovered that just dusting with sulfur would keep them "down". Eventually I would discover that nematodes worked on chiggers, when I quit taking orders. And that they worked for much longer than 2 weeks. But I had to move after the first dose...

I also got the privilege of dipping our dog with paramite. And at the time it was labeled for cats too, so the outdoor cat got a dunk. It was a great dip. But one time I used the same bucket for a water change on my aquarium a few days after dipping the dog, having rinsed it well first. The bala sharks died when the fresh water was poured from that bucket into their tank.And within 6 months, all of the remaining fish had tumors. I quit dipping the dog and went to FrontLine as needed.

Dog and cat lived to an old age, I had my melanoma removed in 1997. Repeated Sunburn on that spot PROBABLY caused it.

I use pesticides with care these days. Which is why my yard is bee and butterfly friendly.

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12