Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tick Repellant

Default Tick Repellant

This morning my wife carefully removed a deer tick from me and there is a red spot with tenderness which originally clued us in that something was there.
    My doc was contacted and am waiting to hear back.

Is there a safe tick repellant out there that someone could recommend?
    I spend lots of time outside hunting, etc.

Thanks,
    Allen

Default Re: Tick Repellant

I read somewhere that garlic is supposed to keep ticks and fleas from biting dogs. Makes me wonder if that wouldn't also help with humans.

I don't know about safe, but deet is very effective. I don't like spraying it on my skin, so I spray the suit or clothes with it prior to working the bees. We have lots of ticks (and chiggers) here and the deet is very effective keeping them off.

put powdered sulpher in a sock and each time you head to the woods dust your legs, boots, and pant legs with the sock. No red bugs (chiggers) or ticks. No odor or side effects.

Affreux beat me to it. That's what we always used. Powdered sulfur in our socks.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

not going to say safe but the gaurd star used for th eground drench to control shb ...when mixed and sprayd on clothing has a 2 or 3 month residual and does not wash out even in the laundry ....and is repellent permethirn is used for this often

powdered sulfur huh..? sheeeeesh, we used to rub our legs down with kersosene before going into the chiggar yards..maybe the oldtimers were having a joke on us..? Now you tell me..
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

By the way, if you take a good dose of sulpher and molasses they are less prone to stick and less prone to infect if they do. Don't know how safe that part is, but I was given a BIG dose each Spring for that purpose. I lived. The sulpher wasn,t such a bad trearment, but dang that Castor Oil was horrible.

wrap a flea coller around each ankle
    Dwayne.S
    Westmoreland N.Y.

Permethrin based clothing treatment are the only thing that I have found effective here in Florida. I'm sure it's not great for you but neither are any of the diseases that ticks carry.

Florida has a nearly year round season for ticks and you may not need such an extreme treatment elsewhere.

I regularly hunt without any repellent but wear high boots with my pants tucked in. I'm careful were and how I move through thick vegetation.

It's very important to do a very close inpection for ticks to remove before they dig in.

I would consider treating the area you work in if it's possible.

Ok, gonna get some flack for this being a man and all, but a product from AVON, yes the womens make-up and skin care mogul. Its called SKIN SO SOFT. It works great at repelling ticks, fleas and mosquitos...........it smells good and doesnt harm our bodies. Ok, go ahead and pull my man card now!!LOL

My 6 year old son is allergic to mosquito bites and the area swells up like a massive bee sting. We didnt want to put Deet on him all the time so we tried skin so soft and have not had a problem. I use the stuff when I go hunting as well, and you can put it on the dogs as well.
    Coyote Creek Bees

I have used sulfur around my ankles, etc for years to repel ticks and chiggers with excellent results. Cheap and non toxic. My toddler ate the sulfur sample out of my rock collection - so I had to call poison control. She was fine, no treatment, it is evidently safe to take internally, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Sulfur does not repel fire ants or biting flies. (does anything repel fire ants?)

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Slightly off topic, but if you have the Avon Skin So Soft, it can be used to easily get kids' bare feet clean if they happen to walk all over a recently blacktopped road by a boat landing. Guess how I know this!? LOL

Where can you buy powdered sulfur? What form is it in (sulfur hydroxide, etc.)?

Too many deer in my yard, the ticks are everywhere.

Thanks,
    Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Sulfursoap.com has it 4oz6.99 or by the lb

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    wrap a flea coller around each ankle
    as a professonal groomer that has been to seminars which discuss pesticide saftey I would strongly reconcider flea collars and pyrethins.

Is this the right stuff? http://www.amazon.com/Humco-sulfur-s...8604574&sr=8-1

Thanks,
    Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

For those that live in the country, chickens and/or guineas are supposed to clean up the area of ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by beeG View Post
    as a professonal groomer that has been to seminars which discuss pesticide saftey I would strongly reconcider flea collars and pyrethins.
    I wouldn't advocate off label use but would remind everyone that ticks can carry very dangerous diseases. One bite can change you life, it's not pretty.
    Weigh the options and choose carefully

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    For those that live in the country, chickens and/or guineas are supposed to clean up the area of ticks.
    Don't know about the chickens, but after hearing the guineas day and night you'd want to move out of the country back to the city thus eliminating the ticks altogether...
    Honeydew