Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: American Foulbrood (afb)

Quote Originally Posted by Yehoshua View Post
    1) anyone think that Italians might be more susceptible to it than other strains, or is this just more likely a coincidence? 2) If the spores basically live forever, what do you about the dirt in the field around the hive?
    There is nothing one can do or needs to do about the soil around the hives.

I have no reason to think Italians are more suseptible to AFB than any other strain of bee. I do wonder where you got your equipment from?

Being a first poster here, how long have you had bees?
    How did you determine it was AFB? What signs did you see?
    Did you buy a package of bees and put them on foundation or comb?
    Did you buy a nuc? Most infections are bought. Unbeknownst to the seller usually. Or transfered unbeknownst to the beekeeper making the split.
    "Beekeeping. It's a journey, not a destination." Mark Berninghausen

I've only been keeping bees for a couple years, but it was definitely AFB, classic in symptoms from everything I've read and every Youtube clip – the smell, the sunken caps, the brown rope - but to be sure I had someone more experienced come and check it out to confirm. Not clear where it could have come from: I bought a package, put them on mostly new foundation, partly on comb left over from last year from a hive that died for other reason (no AFB, but a swarm followed by laying workers that I didn't notice until it was too late).

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    Thanks Russell,
    You are blessing us. Would we have some one do this for every problem we are facing.
    Moderators: Can this become a sticky or something always at the top?
    This was a very interesting thread but it seems to have died? maybe worth a re-read?

This year I'm doing the following: I have a bucket of water and bleach where I put the tools when I get the apiary. Are disinfected daily.

I did not know that petrol is a fast and effective method to kill the bees inside the hive with AFB .

Thank you all: a very informative thread .
    "We are two abysses - a well staring the sky." Fernando Pessoa

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    This was a very interesting thread but it seems to have died? maybe worth a re-read?
    Good things always die. First. We just do not notice it. Full speed ahead baby.
    But, hope is not lost. Looks like some wanderers out there in the world of bees, are still in searching mode. Cool.

Maybe not bad but not really necessary. The reason number 1 for spreading AFB is transfering frames and other equipment between hives, number two robbing of infected hives.

There is a good NZ book about AFB. Highly recommended.
    https://mrkailo.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/knjiga-o-atl/
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

I have not read through this ENTIRE thread but most of it....there is much debate on "disinfecting" boxes (not frames) and what works and what doesn't work, whether it's worth it. Views from every perspective and management style have been listed. Not once did I see someone mention mechanically covering up the spores (i.e. oil or shellac based paint) I'm a veterinarian, we have a disease called coccida whose spores are nearly impossible to destroy BUT you can physically paint over the spores (for example, in a farrowing crate for hogs) to seal them in effectively "cleaning" up the environment and retaining valuable equipment.. Obviously, we don't traditionally paint the inside of bee hives but we know bees will set up home in about anything. Why not paint any suspect wooden ware?

I've recently had AFB diagnosed in a dead out single hive in my back yard. SO I'm in a fact-finding/researching stage. Everything in my affected hive already destroyed. My other hives in an outyard a mile away survived winter and are thriving. I'm monitoring them closely.

Quote Originally Posted by twgun1 View Post
    I've recently had AFB diagnosed in a dead out single hive in my back yard.
    Burn it.

Consider that this is a second hand box that can be replaced with a brand new one for a few dollars. If you try to restore the old box, you will be painting over a layer of propolis and wax, it will only be time till the bees find their way through it.

You could possibly get away with it. But the risk is not worth the five bucks or so the used box is worth. Instead of the money and time inestment trying to save it, put that into a new box.

A question re the pig house painting, do not the pigs eventaully wear through the paint?

No worries, It's already burnt....just a curiosity because of my background in disease of animals. (Yes, I get that bees are not a herd of cattle) but much of what we do in "herd health" is not to completely eliminate a pathogen - just not realistic- but keep pathogen load in the environment and individual below a threshold that an individual or that held can tolerate and stay healthy. Much of that concept has already been hashed out in early this thread....but the physical covering of spores never came up.

Oldtimer - is the NZ government still paying beekeepers to burn hives?
    I believe that this was a very successful programme and nearly got rid of AFB?
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

I saw my first case of AFB during an education day with the local beekeepers. Seeing it first hand was really useful. Will be keeping a sharp eye out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    Oldtimer - is the NZ government still paying beekeepers to burn hives?
    I believe that this was a very successful programme and nearly got rid of AFB?
    No, there has never been a govt payout here for hives that have to be burned.

There has been the odd time down the years it looked like we were on track to almost eradicate AFB here, but now there has been a boom in beekeeping with almost 3/4 million hives in a country the size of one US state plus a lot of migration, AFB looking like it may become more problematic.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567