Hybrid View

Default First year harvest!

I did not expect to receive any surplus honey from either of the 2 colonies I started in April, I am a first year bee keeper after all! Both colonies were on track to storing several surplus boxes until the 'Yellow' hive swarmed in mid July! This was a colony that has been quite finicky; they did not accept their queen shipped with the package. They did rebound nicely and managed to get their top brood chamber[8 frame boxes] filled entirely with stores, as well as another fully capped box of honey which was above the excluder. The 'Red' hive did much better; they didn't swarm[as far as I could tell] and managed to fill their 3rd brood chamber with stores as well as nearly 3 extra supers above the excluder. This should give both colonies 2 full 8 frame boxes of honey along with any frames in brood chambers 1 and 2; I'm hoping this will be enough to winter them through here in Northern California, around the San Francisco bay area. There was a total of 11 fully capped frames in all; I didn't take any of the 'nearly' capped frames that were full, those went back in the 2nd winter super.

Here's some images of the bottling!

-the Mann Lake 5 gal storage w/gate[filled to dark line] and the 2 sizes of containers we filled, 6 and 12 OZ. clear bears.
    I figured the volume from the number of frames to be between 3 and 4 gallons, I think I got it pretty close. There may be
    just a little more honey than containers

-not quite all the bottles filled, getting there!

Hope everyone overwinters well and has a productive 2012!

I'm working on my swarm management next year, although I did go out and retrieve the one that did cast a swarm in July...I think I'll get some nuc boxes built before the 'official' swarm season begins here.

Default Re: First year harvest!

Congrats! Looks great. Know you will enjoy sharing your crop with family and friends.

Nice! One's first harvest is always the most exciting. Remember, you only get one first harvest, and only one first bottle. Save that first bottle. It will become more meaningful year by year.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

My first year harvest (such as it was, sigh) became mead!
    As for me, all I know is that I know nothing...
    - Socrates