Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Happy with test of home made extractor.

Dude you've proved it! It's a machine!!!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post

I can understand the negativity at first when the extractor was unproven. That is normal and I am used to it. Usually after I have proven a concept the negativity goes away and it hasn’t.
    Is your honey bucket half full or half empty? Seems like it's half empty. People have been nice and complimentery about your extractor, but, you see the comments are personal criticism. Which they weren't.

But I will say, that according to what I saw in your video, either you were holding tghe extractor down so it wouldn't wobble so much or you were holding the extractor down and the camewra was jumping around. Either way, makes no difference to me.

Obviously I have a defect which doesn't allow me to make comments w/out them making you feel insulted. It's all my fault for thinking that maybe a discussion could occur. I must be insane, cause I tried this before w/ the same results.

I need to go to another meeting. Where is the next one? ABA that is.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Sorry Ace,

I'm with Mark on this one. Why do you put yourself out there asking what people think, posting videos etc. and then when you do get constructive criticism, you lash back as if you're being assaulted. You on the other hand criticize whom you choose about topics you know nothing about and make yourself look foolish.

As far as your extractor goes, I'll use your reasoning to give you an opinion as follows:

On another thread you wrote that it took you 30 hrs. to build your extractor. I see you're an Engineer by your profile. I don't know about NY but here in California, Engineers can make some serious money. I'll be conservative and say you make $50.00 an hour as an Engineer. (You probably make much more). So... $50 X 30 hours = $1,500.00. With $1,500.00 you could have bought TWO new 6 frame motor driven extractors that would last far longer than that contraption you put together.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

He isn't that kind of Engineer. He is a Mechanical Engineer. A Maintenance Man. According to what he has said about thwe work he does and according to the photos he has Posted. I'm not sure what kind of Engineer makes $50.00/hr. Maybe I should go to work for one. Beekeeping Engineers don't make that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Better extracting thru better supervision? What are they doing putting granulated frames of honey in your extractor for anyway?
    I use my Hispanic landscape crew as my extracting crew. I don't supervise every frame.To them a frame full of honey is a frame full of honey. They extract as fast as they dig. We have some kind of plant whose nectar granulates into a coarse crystal in the comb in a few weeks. A few of those who make the extractor dance the Hokey Pokey.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I'm not sure what kind of Engineer makes $50.00/hr. Maybe I should go to work for one. Beekeeping Engineers don't make that kind of money.
    My brother is a structural engineer who bills at $200.00 an hour. I don't pay that much attention to Ace's rants so I don't know what kind of an engineer he is and I don't really care. So..., let's cut that in half then and say he makes $25.00 and hour. He still could have bought a new extractor that would last him a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I don't supervise every frame.To them a frame full of honey is a frame full of honey.
    Having that much time on your hands to supervise in that great of detail is a luxury most of us don't have.

Maybe so, but people can be trained, can't they? Or don't you speak the same language?

If you work for a company you get a salary as a engineer in a range of 40,000-90,000 without going into management. I no longer work for a company and my compensation is drastically different based on what I do. Once you have been an engineer though you can't stop being creative. It is in your blood. I made this contraption because I enjoy making contraptions that (people) say will never work. I have a long history of doing just that. Secondly, I expect other people will enjoy it too. Most people that buy a hand crank extractor get tired of it and then look for ways to motorize it. I skipped all that.
    So now anyone that wants to skip all that can copy what I have done. Some may not feel they are handy enough to do it. Anyone can do it. I will help them. People that have never built a thing in their lives build bee hives. Those are the people I can help.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Sorry Ace,

I'm with Mark on this one. Why do you put yourself out there asking what people think, posting videos etc. and then when you do get constructive criticism, you lash back as if you're being assaulted. You on the other hand criticize whom you choose about topics you know nothing about and make yourself look foolish.

As far as your extractor goes, I'll use your reasoning to give you an opinion as follows:

On another thread you wrote that it took you 30 hrs. to build your extractor. I see you're an Engineer by your profile. I don't know about NY but here in California, Engineers can make some serious money. I'll be conservative and say you make $50.00 an hour as an Engineer. (You probably make much more). So... $50 X 30 hours = $1,500.00. With $1,500.00 you could have bought TWO new 6 frame motor driven extractors that would last far longer than that contraption you put together.
    For that money $1,500 you can buy a Maxant Model 1400PL and at is made from 20 gauge #4 polished stainless steel and in is made in the USA. Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

You could probably take lessons from this guy on building a home made extractor.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,29880.0.html

What would I learn Charlie? How to spend money to accomplish the same thing?

My guess is very few people will try to copy what this guy has done because of the expense of doing it.

If you want to see what I would design if I were working for Maxant then send me $800 American and I will get started. Most back yard beekeepers do not require food grade equipment. They already know that food produced by insects OUTDOORS and nested in wooden frames is not food grade to begin with.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

They already know that food produced by insects OUTDOORS and nested in wooden frames is not food grade to begin with.
    WHAT?? Do you not know that the inside of a beehive is as clean as an operating room?
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-28-2011 at 02:26 AM.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I think you've got an extractor there that works and you've had a lot of fun building it! Anything else required?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Most back yard beekeepers do not require food grade equipment. They already know that food produced by insects OUTDOORS and nested in wooden frames is not food grade to begin with.
    Really?

I'm not so sure that "most" hobbyists "know" this...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12