Default lots of dead bees on my screened innercover

One of my hives had Guessing around three hundred dead bees on top of the innercover and the others had a bunch but not like the first one.I' thinking these had to have been foraging workers probobly comming on top of screen and passing necture to young bees through the screen and probobly got confused on how to get into hive and froze to death one night when it got down in the upper thirtys here last week.I'm thinking from here on out screen innercovers are comming off before the last week of Sept!Has anybody else seen this?I think the (sic) is a great tool and I will contionue to use it.

Default Re: lots of dead bees on my screened innercover

Just a newbie here... but I would think the warmth from the hive would keep the girls going on the top of the sreened inner cover.
    I use a screened inner cover as well I think it's very handy. Especially now. I have it over an empty deep that I use as an internal feeder using jars of syup. Keeps the yellow jackets out and you can see how much feeding is going on.

Were they drones? Were they trapped somehow? What's the diea behind the screened inner cover? Or have you covered this already?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I am also using the ventilated screen. Used it all summer instead of propping the tele. cover. Also, it is currently being used as woodguyrob is using his..... syrup jars on thin sticks on inner cover surrounded by medium, then ventilated screen and tele. cover. I continued to use it as I needed just a little more height. It is very easy to pop the tele. and observe without bees bothering you. We did notice yellow jackets between the tele. and the vent. screen. Some were dead and I wondered if they were stung.

Last time we fed, we were lucky to notice within a half hour that the vent. screen was placed upside down which would have allowed the yj or robbers to enter the hive thru both of the sides. Yikes!

I use screened inner covers during the summer and often find a few dead bees between it and the outer cover. Once in a while, I find about a 100. I think that the bees are trying to get into the hive from the top. Then, get confused on how to get back out.

I am interested in hearing other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by woodguyrob View Post
    Just a newbie here... but I would think the warmth from the hive would keep the girls going on the top of the sreened inner cover.
    Newbie here too but I would think that the concept of the hive NOT being warmed is true. If the bees on top of the screen cannot get to the cluster where it is warm they are done for. If the point of the screened inner cover is to ventilate the hive why isn't the screen at the point of entry? This device appears to me to be a baited trap in the cooler seasons.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Has any one thought that these dead bees might have been trying to robe the hive and just followed the smell of honey where it was the strongest. (Tis the robbing season now )
    Clint ( just my 2 cents worth)
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I sort of get the reason for a screened inner cover, not sure I agree it is a good one. Is the outer cover then propped open or something? if so why not just make the hive a top entry when you need the extra ventilation or otherwise want the screened inner cover? In other words why use a screened inner cover at all? I am new and not certain I completely understand the use of a screened inner cover.

The ventilated cover I use provides ventilation without an entrance if it is not upside down on the hive. It is basically a frame with wire screen (#8?) The frame along the edges is notched all along both of the long sides. Used one way, it does not provide an entrance. Flipped over, however, it makes the hive wide open along both of the long sides. There is no need to drill holes in a hive body if this is used instead. I do not like to prop my tele. cover in case of robbers, yellow jackets, etc. Or, there is the possibility of the tele. cover sliding back down. The tele. cover sits down flat on the ventilated cover. You can probably see a picture of this vent. cover in the Dadant catalog or online.

I have no doubt that there is a scent which attracts as I have found a few dead yellow jackets on top of the screen. I guess the sides could be screened also. It's use changes as the season progresses to colder weather. I am thinking of using it with an insulated quilt-type medium box on the hive. This way I do not have to drill holes in my mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Were they drones? Were they trapped somehow? What's the diea behind the screened inner cover? Or have you covered this already?
    Mark I used the innercovers for two reasons one for summer ventilation and the other reason to help the girls dry out the necture faster.I have to admit the second choice for me did not pan out this year.And to answer your first question nope not one drone was in the mix.I'm thinking that these bees had been staying the nights on top of the covers but when that cold snap hit they froze.