Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Do Honey Bee Queens Growl?

7K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  tefer2 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Just checked on my hives and one was growling just like the example you had captured on video. I did not open the hive. It could be heard from outside. It is a strong hive. I was wondering if this is in preparation of swarming. I did get a split from this hive two days ago.

Still enjoying bees,
Mike in GA

#11 ·
What makes you think it was the queen? Maybe it's a dissonance caused by an interference pattern in the sound. Where one sound bounces off another you sometimes get such sounds. A friend and I used to whistle loudly with him going and me going down and as the sounds crossed it made an odd third sound reminiscent of the one you recorded.

#12 ·
-snip- A friend and I used to whistle loudly with him going and me going down and as the sounds crossed it made an odd third sound reminiscent of the one you recorded.
The sound track did have some kind of resonant harmonic in it, but it is outside my experience. Are you sure you didn't have indigestion at the time? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.