Hybrid View

Default Do Honey Bee Queens Growl?

My camera microphone picked up this growling sound, and the sound kept moving away from the frames as I was working them. Check out the sound in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odkohQIb-nk
    Last edited by sevenmmm; 10-06-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Default Re: Do Honey Bee Queens Growl?

I think the female of any species does that.
    Old Guy in Alabama

thats weird.....never herd anything like that in a hive......sounds like a catfish!

Great video! Interesting that you had a red-ish honey, so did I. I chalked it up to the fact that my bees are under my elderberry bushes and I have concord grapes near by. Maybe the yellow jackets opened up the fruit to be sampled by the honey bees? Interesting that you're 25 miles north of me and had similar honey....hmmm.

They definitely give fair warning when you get into the hive. I think I heard a beware or meet your maker in that growl. Intense! It's like they were sounding together as a group to make the sound of a larger animal. Nice Video!

Just checked on my hives and one was growling just like the example you had captured on video. I did not open the hive. It could be heard from outside. It is a strong hive. I was wondering if this is in preparation of swarming. I did get a split from this hive two days ago.

Still enjoying bees,
    Mike in GA

Queen just telling everyone she a beast!!

What makes you think it was the queen? Maybe it's a dissonance caused by an interference pattern in the sound. Where one sound bounces off another you sometimes get such sounds. A friend and I used to whistle loudly with him going and me going down and as the sounds crossed it made an odd third sound reminiscent of the one you recorded.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    -snip- A friend and I used to whistle loudly with him going and me going down and as the sounds crossed it made an odd third sound reminiscent of the one you recorded.
    The sound track did have some kind of resonant harmonic in it, but it is outside my experience. Are you sure you didn't have indigestion at the time?
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

He was stepping on a bull frog!