Hybrid View

Default Advise on luring a swarm

I have built my first hive, total cost 40ish dollars, But am trying to do this on no budget. I was scrounging materials for the first hive and finally gave in and bought the 1X12's, wire cloth and a good quality primer and paint. So I think I was about 50% successful. I am now on the look out for materials for my second hive.
    In the mean time I am not going to get very far at all without bees. My first plan is to lure bees to my hive. Any suggestions on how to make a hive more appealing? I have seen lemmon grass oil mentioned. I have also read quite a bit on lure boxes or nuc hives. using cobs of brood, smashing up old queens in alcohol etc. Remember I don't have bees, I also don't have a nuc hive. I do have a top bar with a follow board that allows me to reduce the effective space of the hive. I don't have a lot of hope in finding a swarm but no reason not to maximize my chances. I can't get bees til next spring anyway and most of the bees will be swarming around here by then. Never know I might get lucky and have one move in. then I have something to work with to populate my other hives and makes improving a matter of the cost of a queen rather than a whole nuc or package.

Default Re: Advise on luring a swarm

The most helpful thing is lemongrass essential oil.

The next most helpful thing is some QMP (you can buy bee boost from Mann Lake. I have used it but usually use retired queens in a jar of alcohol to get mine).

The next most helpful thing is old brood comb.

Then it's like fishing. If you pick the right spot with the right bait (listed above) you will probably get one, but you won't know it's the right location until you do...

I would build the bait hive and buy some bees...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

MB is right again! When you want to "fish" for swarms they are not forthcoming. When you are short on hives there will be swarms everywhere with no where for you to put them
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

All,

What is the correct procedure / ratio to use Lemongrass essential oil? For a bait hive, Do I just drop a few drops inside the hive? Or dilute with water to a set ratio and put into a small sprayer to treat the inside of the bait hive?

Also, Is this the same for Peppermist oil for masking scents?

RJ

As far as building hives goes, it is FAR cheaper to buy them than to build them. I built 2 hives using new wood that I bought from Home Depot and it cost about $40. You can buy unassembled hives from Humble Abodes for about $10. and even w/ the shipping it will cost you less time and $$. Also you can get swarm lures on ebay from bjornbee that smell like lemongrass oil and worked for me. check out this vid on you tube on how to build a swarm trap for (almost) free. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmZG2tuELY GOOD LUCK, o

Checked the humlbe abode, and could not find any hive at $10. Closest thing was one hive-body or a nuc-box. Please link to the amazing 10$ hive.