Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Chandler's Legs

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mhorowit 
#1 ·
REf Philip Chandler's plans, does anyone know how the legs are positioned? The outer edge of the 2x4s lines up with the lower right angle of the end piece, but I can't tell where the upper end of the 2x4 is anchored.

Second, I suspect the bolt head will protruded into the chamber, maybe 1/4 inch. Am I correct and will that cause any problem since it's taking up some of the first frame's space? - Mike

#2 ·
I can't tell you about the leg positions, but if your concerned about the bolt head extruding into the chamber, consider using carriage bolts, just be sure that the hole you drill is a tight fit along the shaft of the bolt so that the head of it can get a good bite into the wood.

Garrett

#4 ·
You are correct in that the top carriage bolt head at both ends protrude a little within the chamber. However it does not cause a problem as it will be hidden behind the follower board and will not interfere with the comb. Although many people dont use follower boards, Phil's design is meant to be used with one at both ends. I have two hives built to Phils spec and both have been fortunate enough not to have any stability issues. However, we dont tend to get the severe winds that you may experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.