Default Milk Thistle Honey

Hi:

I am looking for information on Thistle honey. In particular Milk Thistle honey. Milk Thistle is a commercially grown herb that is taken for liver function. Since it is grown commercially I suspect that milk thistle honey is a definite possibility. I have read it is grown commercially in Texas, but elsewhere too.

Does anyone currently harvest milk thistle honey, or know where I might find it?

Thanks,
    Scott

http://www.honeytraveler.com

Default Re: Milk Thistle Honey

I assume we are talking about "Milkweed"? I have a lot in my yard, because the bees do like it and work it. I suppose if you had fields of it you might get a crop, but I have never heard of that nor of fields of milkweed.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi Michael - No, not milkweed, but the thistle, Silybum marianum. It has been used for thousands of years as an herbal medicine, and is sold as such even today.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-01-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Scott, I have Milk Thistle growing in profusion near my bees. They seem to ignore it completely.

Arthur - That's interesting, I've read the nectar flow of the Milk Thistle is moderate to strong. I guess there is something else that is capturing their attention at your location. I wonder if milk thistle honey production is usually related to milk thistle grown as herbal crops where the bees don't have as much choice.

They were also ignoring the white clover and a few acres of wildflowers that are in front of the hive area. I couldn't figure out where they were going. The thistles will be back next year and I'll keep a closer watch on them.