Default Plastic trays/drawers for IPM bottom boards

Last year I purchased a screened bottom board out of the "bargain barn" at Brushy Mountain. Rather than using the corrugated plastic that is used on most screened bottom boards, this one had a plastic tray about 1" deep, 14-3/4" wide, and 18-3/4" in length with a molded-in handle at one end. This tray worked great for catching hive beetles in one of my Alabama hives. I would like to "reverse engineer" this contraption and build a few but need to find a source for the trays. Anyone know where I can find the trays? I cannot find this bottom board nor the tray on the Brushy Mountain website or in their catalog. Thanks. -James

Default Re: Plastic trays/drawers for IPM bottom boards

I've seen old bakers pans, casserole pans, cheap plastic cutting boards and drip trays used for what your looking for. It would be nice to find a cheap source for a consistent size tray like you describe.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Default Re: Plastic trays/drawers for IPM bottom boards

I purchased three of the screened bottom boards with the West beetle trap like you described from Brushy Mountain last year and it has worked well at trapping beetles. I did a quick search and Dadant has the plastic trays. See: https://www.dadant.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1081

Default :update:Re: Plastic trays/drawers for IPM bottom boards

Thanks for the help, guys. I did further searching on the internet and one thing led to another until I found a letter from Jerry Freeman about his beetle trap and his search for an appropriate plastic tray. (At the time of his letter, he was using metal trays.) I called him to see if he had found a source for the plastic trays and found out that he now makes the trays in house. In fact, what I have is a first generation Freeman Beetle Trap.

All I can say now is that this thing worked and worked well. That's why I went on the search for more trays in order to build more. Anyone looking for a good beetle trap? I think I could recommend going to www.freemanbeetletrap.com and checking out these traps. Still a bit pricey for me but it does work.

-james

Default Re: :update:Re: Plastic trays/drawers for IPM bottom boards

I would think that a cafeteria tray would work. Maybe you can find disposable ones or cheap used ones. the used ones make great drip trays for comb honey.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF