Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walnut tree - is it worth anything?

I have a large walnut tree on my property that has to go. It's probably 100 years old, is 32" in diameter and has an almost straight trunk about 20 to 25 feet up before the first limb. Has anyone ever had a tree like this rendered, and if so, who did you contact? I hate to pay to have it cut down when I'm sure the tree service will probably turn around and sell it for even more profit. I'd love to keep the wood, but have no way to turn it into usable lumber for woodworking.

walnut.jpg
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Walnut tree - is it worth anything?

YES, it is worth something. Probably quite a bit, especially by your description and photo. Where you are at, I have no idea who to call, but I think I would start with your local exotic wood supplier. Chances are that they will know who to call, even if it is just who to call to find out who to call.

Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

If you will go to muzzleloadermag.com and post your tree on one of the gunmakers forums you should get some offers.If you lived near me I would love to buy it.Dry walnut,cut in to muzzle loader stock blanks can go for over a hundred dollars and there are a lot of stocks in that tree.A fancy cut from a stump or limb crotch can be several hundred.

Looks to me like you have possible 5 promising crotches in that tree. The photo is not detail enough to determine if it has any burl. Burl could be worth even more than good quality crotch. Understand the tree as a whole would not be worth nearly as much as the wood sawn and showing the grain quality. You would want someone with some experience to cut it up so they can salvage the most valuable portions then market those to the the people that will pay those prices for them. otherwise just sell t he tree to someone that is already doing that sort of thing. Walnut as a whole is a wood that is in fairly high demand.

Most sawmills are wary of "yard trees". Such trees often have nails, screws or fence wire. Some mills will saw them but only if you accept responsibility for the blade if they hit metal. Make certain whoever takes it down is experienced and has liability insurance.
    Last edited by 6r33n63ck0; 09-29-2011 at 07:51 PM.

It is true that saw mils are leary, however most of them have the ability to scan the log prior to cutting it. Last time I checked walnut was going for around $5.00 a board foot. If it were me I'd consider calling someone that has a portable band saw or something and have it cut into 5/4 and perhaps 8/4 lumber to sell. I'd then sticker it (3/4" square pieces spaced about every 18" or so inbetween) cover it and seek to sell it. There may be someone that would buy it from you, but I have no idea, other than calling hardwood distributers that are local to you, as to how to find someone.

I whole heartedly agree that you NEED to have someone w/ insurance who knows what they're doing. It seems quite close to your house, in fact it looks as if there's 1 limb that's over your house. This one may be an expense just to get down. I hope some of this may help. I wish you well.

Actually, the house in the photo is my neighbors, but we both have a limb over our houses. I was ready to pay a tree service to have it removed, but then I started thinking this wood must be worth a few dollars, so I better do some homework.
    Regards, Barry

Barry,

google the "forestry forum" (alot of good people over there)-you may find a sawyer close to you that would be willing to cut it for shares.

it is true alot of people dont like to saw "yard" trees but with walnut people do make exceptions.most sawyers do charge a fee if they hit something in the log while sawing...usually around $25 for each damaged blade.

if you were closer to N/E Alabama....i would saw it for you

T.J.

Last summer my daughter sold a big black walnut trunk from Outagamie County, Wisc. The trunk was 27" dia. at the top yet (bottom was a little wider)....... with a very straight trunk and 16' height. They do not want to give you much for yard trees due to the fast growth which makes the grain not very close and less desirable. She got about $225 just for the trunk. Very heavy wood. The money is in the trees that grow slow because they are in the woods as the grain is tighter. Some relative got some great firewood from the rest of the tree. I think they figured the tree was over 70 years old.

If I can only expect to get a few hundred for the wood then I think I'll turn it into firewood. That's hardly worth all the messing around with it. Did the $225 include the tree coming down or did they first have to fell it? It will probably cost me $1,000 to have it brought down. My big oak a year ago cost me $1,300 but they had to rope it down. They can use a crane on the walnut.
    Regards, Barry

Got a decent tree guy with better rates who we knew. He does trees on the side and has a bucket truck. We supplied the labor to haul and cut pieces smaller. He also was insured. He gave them a deal on getting the tree down. A different guy came and picked up the trunk and paid them.

Do your homework though as there are other uses for it as suggested gun stocks, burl, lumber, veneer, etc.

We have about 6 black walnuts, very tall and straight, in our backyard. There are in two areas grouped in sets of three. Two Amish gentlemen stopped early in spring and offered about $200/tree. My husband said no. In thinking about all the damaged to the yard and clean up, it hardly seemed worth that amount. We will still look to harvest one set of three at a better price, because we can't plant a garden anywhere near them (they emit a chemical in the ground that kills many vegetables). I'll check out some of the suggestions here, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by mdaniels View Post
    We will still look to harvest one set of three at a better price, because we can't plant a garden anywhere near them (they emit a chemical in the ground that kills many vegetables).
    In my case, the nuts drop all over my neighbors driveway, as well as my back deck. I was sitting on the deck a few days ago with my laptop and had a nut land just inches from a direct hit on the keyboard. They splatter their black goo everywhere and stain. I'm sure his cars would have dents if he parked them under the tree.

I don't have any problems growing stuff under the tree. Both ornamental plants and even tomatoes grow just fine.
    Regards, Barry

If you need to know the board ft you can use the Doyle Log Scale to get a good idea . Is it really 20 ft until the 1st limb ? Thats what we call a trorphy tree . I called a bud to see what our mill prices are . It went up .05 cents to .35 per board ft . I have had to pay for yard tree nails before . The thing about trees is you never know until they are cut ,,ie bug damage . Thats just too much coin to burn for fire wood . If you have to hire the take down you can have it cut to lenght on the good stuff and burn the rest . The bummers are hauling it ..storeing it, plaining it. Thats why i cant walk in my garage . We haul our logs on boat trailers , the rollers are handy . Another option is trade..they take the log at no cost to you for taking it down . Thats how i get my lumber . On those big limbs comming off ,,you can take off 3 foot for the (danger word ) . It can be junk or prime time grain . It tends to warp .

I went out and looked at the tree again. There's a scar from a limb I didn't see before, but it still measures 18' to that spot. Maybe the tree removal company isn't getting back to me because I raised the issue of wood value with them!

I think I'll still have it taken down, but only pay for that and chipping of the small stuff. They can leave the large branches and trunk on the ground. I'll cut up the branches for firewood and start looking for possible buyer for the trunk, unless, like you said, they are willing to take it for a reduction in removal costs.
    Regards, Barry

I have gone to school (college) for woodworking. I understand why they desire to have trees that are in the woods, but this is the first time I've ever read / heard of growing faster. In the woods where there's competition they grow taller sooner simply to get to the light. Servival of the fittest kind of thing. That's the reason why they want the woods. The trunk often goes much higher before a branch making the wood more "desirable" for cutting. Also with the possibility of things in a yard tree (clothes line, nails, cable from a dog, etc.) that will hurt the saw. A tree will grow right over these things and after a few years you won't be able to see them.

While I can't be 100% certain, I doubt this tree would have such things in it due to it's location. The ground is sloping around it and it's on the side of the house making it unusable for clothes line or dog chain. My big oak was on the property line and it had a chain link fence going right through it. The tree guy ruined a chain on that one. It was about 60" diameter.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If I can only expect to get a few hundred for the wood then I think I'll turn it into firewood.
    Walnut "pops" really bad when burned. Most people who burn wood avoid it, especially for an open fireplace.

Perfect!! My open fireplace is outside.
    Regards, Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast