Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question beetight vs hivetracks

Which one of these two online systems do you use and why

www.beetight.com
    www.hivetracks.com

Default Re: beetight vs hivetracks

Neither.I might venture a guess that most beekeepers, who keep records, just use a notebook and pencil or write it on hive tops.

I have been using Hivetracks for a while, but I wanted to try Beetight as Hivetracks still doesn't have a mobile app and it gets buggy on mobile devices (I try to enter inspection info on my iPad and the scripts go all wonky). I haven't used Beetight long enough to make a good comparison, but from a design standpoint, I think Beetight is prettier and easier to use.
    I started out as an opportunistic beekeeper. Now the bees keep me...

Hivetracks is what I currently use. I have less than 100 hives and work a full time job. So in the yards, I put notes on paper, and later that day I update the information on the computer (web). The iPad application is not a high priority for me, so it wasn't a "deal breaker" between the two. The biggest thing hivetracks does not have, and beetight does have...is a To Do list option for the hive/beeyard for your next visit so you don't miss anything. Even though Hivetracks is free....I do donate to the website so they can continue to do the good work they do, and with that in mind it is only $15 a year to have Beetight, so it is a wash regarding the software expense. Beetight is located in England....and Hivetracks is American....your call. Just my rambling thoughts. Enjoy
    Last edited by okbees; 09-29-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: grammar

We have a mobile app now... check it out with your smart phone (any smart phone)
    http://www.hivetracks.com/mobile
    Mark Henson
    Founder of Hive Tracks

I use HiveTracks online. It is a simple way of keeping detailed records. I have tried hivetracks mobile. Hive tracks now has a to-do list also. Thanks Mark for a great way to keep records!
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
    http://photobucket.com/MCBees

Quote Originally Posted by gone2seed View Post
    Neither.I might venture a guess that most beekeepers, who keep records, just use a notebook and pencil or write it on hive tops.

Pencil, notebook and placing that rock on the lid in that certain position that "tells" you "what's up."
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

My issue with both is bulk updating when I move hives. I want to be able to show the hives have moved from Raspberries to Lavender etc. Want to bulk update I treated all of them etc. I would like some more customizable screens to put in info. Some stuff is important and others is not. I have 200 hives and entering in one by one is slow and takes time. I print out sheets and then add it later. Don't like their inspection sheets I have my own. A customizable one would be nice.

Well i decided to get an app that will remind each time I inspect, alter, or what ever I need to remember, that app will notify the record keeping app, to remind me to make notes. Then again I will forget to get the apps.
    Bottom line, one needs to develop a solid record system,or method that is easily accessible that becomes part of the maintenance of each hive. Not only will it help You, but good record keeping can, does and has solved a many problems, and mostly before they become a disaster.
    The digital age has been embraced and to some the holy grail, but that good ol hard copy is a must. Record it online and one better print it, add it to your logs, back it up. You will lose your digital record at some point, some are better prepared and function quite productively using digital media, some are less inclined to integrate it into their lives. I find that both worlds work for me. I have to document most everything in order to have the ability to make sound decision based on past events, being at an out yard one can connect, record and review notes, confirm, then sit and watch the bees for a bit.
    I try and keep decent records via pen and paper, but I checked out Hive Tracks and I think I will create an account and give that one a whirl. One just never knows

I use Hive Tracks and dont have no problems. Need to try their mobile app again could not seem to get to work the one time I tried it. But only have a few hive so it easy to rember the info tell I can enter it on a computer later. (Also my computers at work will allow me access to hive tracks but will not let me get to beetight site. Dont tell anyone.)

My Droid Razor will not install it. I have a account and saw the QR code one time but now its gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhenson View Post
    We have a mobile app now... check it out with your smart phone (any smart phone)
    http://www.hivetracks.com/mobile
    BB's Honey
    www.bbshoney.com

Make sure your Razor accepts cookies and allows JavaScript. Also, there is a great new browser for Android called Dolphin, I highy recommend it not just for Hive Tracks, its simply a better browser.
    Mark Henson
    Founder of Hive Tracks

Hive Tracks now has mobile app
    Mark Henson
    Founder of Hive Tracks

I use Hive Tracks, one hive so far, and had issues with my Android tablet & phone. However their Beta mobile version (all are browser implementations) works without a hitch and am very pleased. It is free but I have donated $$ to support them.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I use Beetight.

Overall it's a good program, could be better.

- Everything is done on line, so internet speed slows it down
    - The mobile application is nice, but it loses it's convienience if it's hot outside your sweating hard or if it super bright outside and you have a hard time seeing your screen through a veil. Also, I don't think the mobile application would be handy at all if you wear gloves.
    - Wish the task function worked when you are recording an inspection. Having to go to a seperate level in the program adds a couple of minutes to record a task.
    - Program still has a few minor bugs and I don't think it's creator is actively working to resolve them or on making any more improvements.

Beetights best features are the reports it generates and the fact that it will down load all your data to an Excel Spreadsheet format (which I use for a backup)

I will be checking out Hive Tracks this winter, I like the fact that it's still being supported well.

Don

I will look at Beetight also. Both have the same issue with touch sensitive screens if you have gloves on or sticky fingers while in the hive. $15 a year is not bad and I like the label print capability. Will look into it tonight.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I will try enabling cookies. I already have Dolphin as you suggested. It is a better browser.
    BB's Honey
    www.bbshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by guyross View Post
    I will try enabling cookies. I already have Dolphin as you suggested. It is a better browser.
    That is my default Android browser too. There are some neat tricks setting up folders. I did like the Firefox sync. between devices for my bookmarks but Dolphin is faster.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I just got on hive tracks site I don't see a app to down load just the web based interface which makes it mobil if your in a service area but not the convenience of a app that can sycn up when in service area...

There is no download per say. Paste the below link in your browser, everything is done through a browser.

https://www.hivetracks.com/mobile

The reason it is https:// is that you need to log into your account, otherwise you need to create one.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a