Default Larve found in Honey Super

I found larvae (lots) in my homey super. I am very new to this. I have a small garden hive a friend gave me before leaving the country. I recently inspected and found all this larvae about the properly placed queen excluder. The queen must be above the excluder. This was not the case when I had inspected the hive two weeks earlier. Somehow in that inspection, the queen must have made it into the other box. Not sure how that could be, but the excluder seems to be installed perfectly, no damage to it. It is also getting about time to harvest in the next few weeks. My thought that any larvae in the brooder box must be long gone by now. Could I just flip positions of the two boxes?

I have been trying to find a pro to come give these things a look, but our local bee group seems to be unreachable at the moment.

Steve

Default Re: Larve found in Honey Super

Steve, make sure you do not also have brood below the excluder. If you only have brood upstairs you can swap them or just leave the excluder out so she can go where she needs to.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

just a thought but are the larvae in cells are or are they all of the comb? the only reason I ask is that when I read the title my mind immediately thought small hive beetle!

Thanks for the advice. I just inspected. When I removed the cover I found bzillions of what I presume are hive beetles. Small, black, similar in shape to a lady bug, but half the size. These were only found in the top super which I only added four weeks ago. There were more bees up in the super than in previous inspections, comb is being built out, but that's all. The beetles were everywhere. The bees by the way were very cranky again.

Middle supper has what I think are larvae. It appears to me that the bees are caring for the larvae, which I wouldn't expect if they were hive beetles, but then nothing was capped. Maybe they are trying to clean out cells???? I didn't see larvae outside the cells.

Anyhow, the bottom super definitely seems to have capped larvae. (If I am looking at this right). I didn't see any exposed larvae as you see in the middle super, but I was not spending a lot of time here as the bees were not at all pleased.

I'm guessing I have a really bad case of hive beetles. Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Steve

I could not upload my pictures here, so I set them up on a temporary webpage, http://oneroomschool.net/bee-inspection-pictures/

Those are not larva in the super frames. Bees don't lay eggs on top of honey. However, I think I can see some Beetle larva in some cells. You need to get a handle on the beetles and kill them before you lose the hives.

Save the picture locally and blow it up. Middle Super w larvae 3right hand bee 2 cells down and 1 cell right certainly looks like some kind of larva in a dry cell. Cell above that same bee and at the top of that same frame also appears to have one. Can't really distinguish the others as it looks like reflections on liquid honey.

I posted a high res photo as requested by Fish Stix. Thank you all for taking the time to help out. I ordered beetle traps and Checkmite+. Checkmite seems controversial from what I can read, but I haven't seen any other solution besides the traps. Also, I have no experience with this, so I don't know what a bad infestation of beetles looks like, nor what a light infestation looks like, but I'm think its a bad infestation. There were many hundreds running everywhere when I took the top off.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-01-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: language

That's bad! No! Real bad!!!!!

I would get that honey super off of the hive and freeze the frames. I would freeze any frame that was a honey frame, regardless of what box it was in. After being frozen for 48 hours, I would get them back on the hive.

I only have a little experience with SHB, but I have been successful (in cases with extreme infestations) with reducing bee space substantially (I suppose I risk a swarm with this, but maybe not, since I take all of the honey) and removing all of the honey to be frozen. I also move them to a new box and take the other box off away from all of my hives (in case their are eggs in them.)

I have used the traps before, during successful battles against the SHB, but I swear I only catch a few dozen (every bit helps, I guess), which is only a fraction of the force I am dealing with.

All of those larva are looking for dirt to pupate in. Do not let them get to dirt. Freeze them quickly.

Thanks, I'll do that right away. I like that freezing idea I do have screen on the ground around the hive. The guy who gave me the hive (and moved to Chad where I can't get a hold of him) told me the screen would keep the larvae from getting to the ground. Apparently not. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Steve