Default Is it too late in the year to do a cut out?

Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to do a cutout and I'm wondering if it is worth the effort this late in the year. The hive is located in the walls of a barn and has been there for about 3 years. The owner of the barn wants the bees gone and was going to kill the hive. He has already purchased the insecticide and won't wait until next spring for me to get them. So, either I try a cutout now or he will kill the hive. Is it worth it to try a cutout this late in the year? I am in northern california and we usually have fairly good weather into November. What do you think? This is my first year keeping bees and I'm still learning a lot. Also, how much honey will I need them to have to make it through the winter in northern California? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Bob

Default Re: Is it too late in the year to do a cut out?

Go for it. If they have truly survived for three years with no assistance, and not just been swarms that keep taking up the same place, then just its worth a shot... feed immediately when you hive them and continue to do so until they are built up well enough to winter...

A good rule of thumb is 50% brood and 50% food completely filling what ever size chamber they are in by the first frost... good luck!

Pack up your tools and go right at it. Take your time doing it. I find all of them different and learn a little more about bees with each I do. If you haven't already seen them, search JPthebeeman on YouTube and watch all his videos. Plan on feeding syrup. Might be worth while getting some pollen patties too, unless you can get a lot of comb with pollen packed in. Good luck.

go for it but there is no such thing as free.

I did a cutout here in central Indiana on the 19th. The homeowner called me back in May but then didn't call me back to deal with them until mid-September. I took them out and rehived them on their own food and brood. It was a paying job so I am not so worried if they die. I won't take extraordinary measures to keep them alive such as syrup feeding. They will get some pollen patty just like my other hives but that is about it. I have another one to do in the next few weeks. The odds of them making are slim to none at this point in the year but again it is a paying job. I'll rehive them as well but I am betting on that being a loss.